PDA

View Full Version : Cast update

newgirl
29th September 2005, 09:51 PM
Hi all,
This is going to be very quick as my head is still a little all over the place.
Niamh was in for her cast today to replace the brace she has been wearing all summer.
As you may remember she was initially diagnosed with a 37* curve in July 2004 which was monitored for a while and then put in a cast and subsequently a brace since Feb. her last x-rays a month ago showed no change whatsoever in the curve but cosmetically her ribs and back appeared straighter.
Well the surgeon agreed to put her back in a cast and try to correct the curve.
True to his word, they took an x-ray in theatre today and they measured her curve in the cast at 14* :clap: :clap: :clap:
I am so pleased, I know there is no gaurantee that we will be able to maintain this but the fact that her spine is flexible is such a huge relief for us.
She is really tolerating the cast so much better this time and was up walking around the place a couple of hours after waking up from the GA.
Nicola

BeckyH
29th September 2005, 09:54 PM
that's great news :jump: congrats

Sealy
29th September 2005, 10:07 PM
Nicola,

You're going to have to change the expression on Garfield's face because the first thing I see is his expression and I think: Oh no....bad news coming ! :-o It's GREAT NEWS !!! :clap: :jump: :rox:
14 degrees is A*M*A*Z*I*N*G !!! What does the cast look like ? Does it a chest expansion window or a cutout in the back ? The reason I ask is because Deirdre never had these and I feel like we missed out. She now does have chest expansion window and one in the back - I call them tickle holes. :D How long is she expected to wear the current cast ?

DublinPauline
29th September 2005, 10:21 PM
That's WONDERFUL news Nicola, I'm so pleased for Niamh.
I was in with Mr McManus yesterday and he seems to relish the fact that so much more can be done now than in *my day*. He said nobody gets to the state my back is in anymore.He told me that he's retiring next July. :-?

mark
29th September 2005, 11:01 PM
Thats absolutely fantastic news i am so pleased for you Nicola its really nice to read about such a fantastic correction thats been achieved without having to resort to surgery i am sure it will encourage a lot of other parents and kids who read this post. I am really so pleased and chuffed you and Niamh thanks for sharing it with us all.

RocketQueen
30th September 2005, 12:35 AM
I think my curve was measured at about 37* when I was first diagnosed about 4, or 5 years ago. I was stupid and didnt wear it enough at all, so it is good to know that you have done the best thing you can for Niamh, and she has achieved such a good correction in the brace. Very happy for you guys. xxxx

jfkimberly
30th September 2005, 07:39 AM
CONGRATULATIONS Nicola and little Niamh! 14 is incredible! Hopefully by the time this is over with, Niamh won't have the diagnosis of "scoliosis" anymore.

sins
30th September 2005, 10:21 AM
This is wonderful progress Nicola!
McManus will certainly be a loss when he retires this July and it's a fact, noone nowadays should be allowed to progress to the stage where Pauline and myself are at, even after our surgeries.
It's a great boost to us to reaslise that there's such great scope out there now for treating small children who have scoliosis.
Well done to you and Niamh.
Sins

newgirl
30th September 2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks everyone,
we are really delighted.
Sealy her cast does not have a cut out either it is pretty much solid POP from under her chin to her hip bones, so is quite weighty. I have read that the reason for the cutouts is to prevent rib deformation so I do intend to ask the next time if it is possible to do something.
This cast is due to be changed before Christmas we don't have the date yet but probably the 15th dec.

Pauline and Sins I am a bit concerned about Mr Mc Manus retiring, I really hope that his replacement will continue on Mr Mc Manus's good work with Niamh.
Thanks again for all the good wishes,
Nicola

Sealy
30th September 2005, 03:19 PM
Nicola,

You have to tell Mr. Mc Manus that he is NOT allowed to retire/take sabbatical or transfer until our little Niamh is cured :-D If he insists on taking leave ensure that his replacement is on board with serial casting.

sins
30th September 2005, 03:39 PM
heh heh, you'll either be transferred to Damian McCormack or Ashley Poynton. I've met McCormack myself and he's EXACTLY the consultant I'd choose for one of my children. So pleasant to speak to and had the kind of manner that would put the most truculent child at ease.
The other is Ashley Poynton, and Chele is very pleased with him, so either way I think you needn't have any worries.
Sins

newgirl
30th September 2005, 06:32 PM
:glee: I can imagine "telling" Mr Mc Manus he can't retire. In fairness to the man he is as entitled as anyone else to end his career as and when he likes.
Still thanks for the reassurance about the other consultants Sins, having achieved this great result I was concerned that his replacement would be someone who didn't have experience with casting.
N

gerbo
30th September 2005, 07:31 PM
so, generally, how established/ controversial is this casting, different in UK/continent/USA???

just wondering :???: :???: :???: :???:

BeckyH
30th September 2005, 07:38 PM
nicola you should ask to help interview replacements and then you can pick a good looking one (who is also a great doctor) like sealy's ex-ortho :D (am i right or am i making that up sealy?)

Sealy
30th September 2005, 08:48 PM
Oh, don't bring up Dr. H...I still miss him. :cry: He was the best ! I think his caring nature and personality made him exceptional, it didn't hurt that he was also good looking.

I do agree that Nicola should be part of the selection committee to find a replacement for Mr. Mc Manus :-D

Gerbo,

It depends on the doctor. If you go to RNOH, you might have a beter chance casting an adolescent. Is it anywhere near you ? Oh, I saw your posts on the German forum, I was looking up the Schroth method and stumbled on the support group. Have you ordered the "yellow book" which details the exercises ?

gerbo
1st October 2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Sealy@Sep 30 2005, 06:48 PM

It depends on the doctor. If you go to RNOH, you might have a beter chance casting an adolescent. Is it anywhere near you ? Oh, I saw your posts on the German forum, I was looking up the Schroth method and stumbled on the support group. Have you ordered the "yellow book" which details the exercises ?
Re german forum, yeah, like lots of us, I am all over the place. I have got this image that we keep talking to the same people, but with different names, on different internet sites, giving space to our split personalities in different ways, just depending on how we are feeling on the day :glee: :woe: :yawn: :-x :hammer: :monkey: :angel:

haven't ordered the book as i think schroth is a way of life, which cannot be tought from a book. If i would consider schroth, (and it is an option,) i'd go to germany (well, if Laura agrees to it)

Is schroth relevant to you, doubt whether it is suitable/ applicable in your situation?

re rnoh; if (still big if) we go for second opinion, rnoh is an option (anything is near in uk, compared to canada/usa) as would be oxford or nottingham. Has anybody taken over miss mehta's mantle over there, that you know of?

best wishes

gerbo

Thaleias spirit
1st October 2005, 01:05 PM
Nicola,

14 degrees? Really? Wow, am speechless here. (Actually I am almost teary-eyed too). I can imagine how happy you feel with that.

With your determination and dedication to help Niamh I can't doubt that you won't have any success in dealing with this.

Were you able to get a photo of the last x-ray they took?

chele

BeckyH
1st October 2005, 01:09 PM
gerbo my surgeon, mr tucker took over the majority of miss mehta's patients. i think he sees mostly adolescents but i do know of some other patients too (people i know from everyday life, not my hospital existence) PM me if you want more details. unfortunately i don't know much about the other surgeons but i've learnt a little from talking to others around here

Abbi
1st October 2005, 04:15 PM
WOW!!! that IS amazing 14degrees! YAY :jump: :jump: :jump: :D

I am so pleased for you both!!!

Sealy
1st October 2005, 11:52 PM
"Re german forum, yeah, like lots of us, I am all over the place. I have got this image that we keep talking to the same people, but with different names, on different internet sites, giving space to our split personalities in different ways, just depending on how we are feeling on the day"

Actually, you seemed very much like yourself :-D

"Is schroth relevant to you, doubt whether it is suitable/ applicable in your situation?"

Not relevant to me personally, but my husband is very much interested in looking at the exercises for his own situation. As far as Deirdre, I guess she would be too young ? How old does one have to be to follow the Schroth method ? I think Deirdre should be O.K. with the spineCor brace from a physiotherapy stand point.

"Has anybody taken over miss mehta's mantle over there, that you know of?"

I thought Mr. Taylor took over the serial casting of infants at RNOH

andrea
2nd October 2005, 10:42 AM
That's great news Nicola - i hope it works for you!

gerbo
3rd October 2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Sealy@Oct 1 2005, 09:52 PM

Actually, you seemed very much like yourself :-D

neurotically chasing windmills as usual. (second nature to a dutchman) :spin: :spin: :spin: