PDA

View Full Version : change of surgeon -eek!

zerodegrees
21st September 2005, 01:32 PM
As u all know I was due to have surgery with Mr Webb at QMC Nottingham (or so I thought). Called up yesterday to ask a few more questions and was amazed to find out it is a guy called Mr Grevitt who will actually be doing the deed! I was assured he is a senior consultant and not a cleaner. I am trying to remain calm as it was Mr Webb who I saw and it wasn't mentioned that someone else was doing the op.

I looked up the qmc website which strangely has pictures of their surgeons on it to check out whether or not he looks like he has serial killer tendancies (or shaky hands!)

Let me know what you think? You can follow the link to qmc & his picture 8)

http://www.qmc.nhs.uk/Divisions/Surgery/TO...les/grevitt.htm (http://www.qmc.nhs.uk/Divisions/Surgery/TO/ConsultantProfiles/grevitt.htm)

Cheers

John

Lizzie89
21st September 2005, 01:36 PM
NICE is a good recommendation, erm i dunno about the others, but he doesnt look like a serial killer lol.

And he has to have atleast 14 years of expereince in spinal surgery to be at consultant level so no need to worry :-D

All the best John

titch
21st September 2005, 01:50 PM
Mr Grevitt is quite the pioneer, actually - he performed a very successful L3-4 disc replacement last year on someone with a pre-existing long harrington rod fusion, which is an extremely rare procedure as yet. He's not someone I've actually met, but certainly I can say that they don't take on more than they can handle there - I had an appointment with a different doc (Mr Sengupta - not sure if he's still there) when I was trying to get my surgery brought forward (I'd suddenly keeled off to the left without warning :-o), and he told me that quite simply that he couldn't give me any guarantees on date because he couldn't do it himself, my case was too complex.

I think you'll be in good hands with him, for all that it is nervewracking when they go and change things on you like that :roll: Abbi had a similar thing happen, and had her surgery with a different consultant than had been originally planned.

BeckyH
21st September 2005, 02:03 PM
i was reading that and got to "special interests" expecting to see something like long country walks with my dog and renaissance art, but oh no, it's "less invasive surgery and spinal deformity" basically, i don't think he'd be a great dinner party guest but i wouldn't mind him operating on my spine :D

i hope this hasn't given you a fresh batch of fears and that you're not feeling too discouraged. like titch says, i don't think they'll send you in with someone who isn't up for the job (it's not really in their interests)

sins
21st September 2005, 02:29 PM
That's one of the lesser known delights of NHS, the suddden change of surgeon scenario.
Grevitt's well known in the field of spinal deformity and if I have revision surgery, I'll be very happy to let either Grevitt or Webb loose on my spine.
He doesn't look like a serial killer to be fair,but most orthopaedic consultants seem to enjoy working with hammers , saws and assorted power tools :lol:

Sealy
21st September 2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by zerodegrees@Sep 21 2005, 05:32 AM
...was amazed to find out it is a guy called Mr Grevitt who will actually be doing the deed! I was assured he is a senior consultant and not a cleaner. I am trying to remain calm as it was Mr Webb who I saw and it wasn't mentioned that someone else was doing the op.

I looked up the qmc website which strangely has pictures of their surgeons on it to check out whether or not he looks like he has serial killer tendancies (or shaky hands!)

Oh man, this really has me cracking up this morning :rofl: At least you're being honest ! They say the best way to conquer your fears is to confront them head on, and I think you're doing just that :D Perhaps a presurgery appointment with the new doc wouldn't be such a bad idea, that way you could see if he has shaky hands.

Sealy

zerodegrees
21st September 2005, 03:28 PM
Very reassuring troops! Just to add to my trauma just had a phone call from the surgeons secretary saying they are bringing my pre-ops assessment forward to 3rd Oct but with no change to op date! I actually thought she was going to say there was an ambulance outside my front door and that I should go and put my pj's on and clime in 8)

I may indeed turn out to be the biggest drama-queen on the whole forum!

cheers

john

tonibunny
21st September 2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by titch@Sep 21 2005, 11:50 AM
Mr Grevitt is quite the pioneer, actually - he performed a very successful L3-4 disc replacement last year on someone with a pre-existing long harrington rod fusion, which is an extremely rare procedure as yet.
Ooooh, that's good news. Hopefully by the time my lumbar discs give up the ghost (my physio reckons they'll last another ten years) this procedure will be readily available :)

Sorry to hijack your thread John - Mr Grevitt looks like he knows his stuff! I'd feel very confident if I were you :D I had my last costoplasty done by a different surgeon to the one who'd treated me throughout my life, cos he had retired by the time I got to the top of the waiting list - and you can see what a great job the new surgeon made :joke:

Abbi
21st September 2005, 06:28 PM
Hi John! A change of surgeon does happen quite a lot on the NHS, as sinead mentioned. Infact it happened to me! I was at my pre op appt with the surgeon I thought would be doing it, and I asked him what correction he could get, and he was like "oh yes, I won't be there..." (usually he and the other spinal surgeon do they surgery together) and so he was like "so it will be my collegue Mr Eames." Well...I nearly died! I thought "what? I have never met this man" and I didn't until 30mins before being taken to theatre...
but he was lovely...a real professional, and he did a good job on me too!

I don't think you have anything to worry about with Mr Grevitt, he looks like a great surgeon! You will be fine! :D

Good luck with your pre op assessment! And your not really a drama queen....we all panic at times! :-)