PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question Time!

zerodegrees
19th September 2005, 03:41 PM
I know this is a stupid question & the only person who can really answer it is the surgeon however.......Whats the average length of time people spend in hospital following 2 stage correction? I have noticed on the webiste that a lot of you got out after a week or so. I've been told that I'll be in for 3 weeks plus. Any ideas why? I am having kyphosis correction. I wonder if it is because I am an old codger (36)? I will of course ask my surgeon when I go for my pre op day on 10th but am very curious to find out why.

Cheers guys

john

titch
19th September 2005, 03:56 PM
I had single stage salvage surgery at QMC just under 3 years ago, aged 29, with osteotomies and extension of fusion T3-L4. I was in for 12 days after that - I think had I been living locally I could have managed to get out a lot sooner, within a week, but the biggest problem was that I live in Swindon, which is a good 3-4 hour drive from Nottingham, so I needed to be well enough to travel that kind of distance.

Also, the way it works at QMC (or at least, the way it worked when I was in) is that the ward budget is what has to pay for transport by ambulance, and basically they don't do it. So you have to arrange for yourself to get home - this is fine for most people, as they live quite close by, and is probably fine for a lot of people with longer journeys. However, I was particularly stiff due to the amount of remodelling that had been done to me as well as the fact I'd got a lot of ongoing physical changes from the severe flatback, and because I'd been on high doses of painkillers before the surgery there was more difficulty than usual in controlling my pain. Also, we have a Saxo, which is one of the least suitable cars ever for getting in and out of post surgery, and I realised there was just no way that I was going to be well enough to manage it. We were thinking of hiring a car to do the journey, then my uncle had the bright idea of contacting St John's Ambulance, so in the end I went home by ambulance, just that we paid for it.

Liv
19th September 2005, 04:33 PM
I had the 2 stage surgery 6 years ago. My surgeon told me I had to stay 3 weeks, I was out after 11 days... I think it depends on pain management and mobility. If you can eat, walk and you're not in too much pain, there's no point in keeping you at the hospital.

PS: That's not a stupid question, John! ;-)

Lizzie89
19th September 2005, 05:01 PM
Quite often your told 3 weeks and end up staying in about 2, the other people inADU at the same time as me did. I only had one stage and was in for 14 days (my recovery was slow going for some reason - namely pesky chestdrain

Abbi
19th September 2005, 07:23 PM
There are never any stupid questions! I just had two stage surgery, and I got out after 8days! (I was told I would be out after a week, but I wasnt feeling too good, so I had to stay in one extra day!)

I am not sure why they would say three weeks....I hope it isn't that long! recovery at home is much nicer and easier! :-)

BeckyH
19th September 2005, 09:30 PM
i only had single stage surgery but i was admitted 2pm on a friday for preop tests, discussions, examinations, xrays etc, had surgery the next day at about 1:15pm and was discharged the next friday at 1pm. basically, i was an hour off being in hospital for a week :D

normally it's about an hour and 40 minutes from my place to the hospital and vice versa but there was a HUGE accident on the M25 meaning it took 3 hours to get home. i just gritted my teeth and got on with it (i've done that several times this year lol) but it was ok.

keep the "stupid" questions coming, they're usually ones i'm capable of answering :D

Crazy16girl
19th September 2005, 10:30 PM
I was told 10 days with my single stage surgery and i was out after 16, it was a long recovery!
I think it realyl does depend on how well you take to it, and sickness and pain etc!

Jonny
19th September 2005, 11:30 PM
My two-stage surgery last July, I had the first stage on Tuesday, the second stage the following Tuesday as scheduled, and went home the following Monday.

In March for my revision, I had the surgery on a Friday and went home the next Thursday.

In both cases, I was home on the sixth day after the last op :-)

zerodegrees
20th September 2005, 07:46 PM
thanks troops!

john

jojohull
14th October 2005, 08:47 PM
Marvellous!
I had three months in hospital, back in the olden days.
Laid on a 'striker' bed for the first 2 weeks - anyone remember those?
Then body pot, had to have a new one before leaving hospital as the first one stunk , 2 infected areas opened up.
It's is wonderful to think they can have people in and out of hospital so quickly.
Hope you make a quick recovery John and at worst if it's 3 weeks its a small price to pay eh?

tonibunny
14th October 2005, 09:44 PM
Hi Jojo,

I was in hospital for about 7 weeks when I had my first (thoracic) fusion aged 10 back in 1986, and spent a couple of weeks on a Stryker bed. Did you have halo traction too? I did, and Vicki and Sins have also had this as part of their treatment. I also had a plaster cast for six months after that, but that didn't bother me as I'd grown up wearing them anyway :D

Then I had my lumbar curve fused when I was 18 (in 1994) and I was in hospital for only 3 weeks, which was fantastic. I'm always amazed at how quickly people get out of hospital these days!

sins
14th October 2005, 10:32 PM
yup, I spent 8 weeks on a stryker with halo traction before surgery, but only two weeks post op! The need for the plaster jackets that we wore for 6 months to a year are also gone.I think John I should tell you I spent a total of 6 months in hospital in 1983, Pauline spent nine months in 1979 and I believe Joan was in hospital for something approaching 18 months in 1962.
I'm betting on you being out in 8-10 days John.I think as soon as you can walk, manage to cope with going up and down some stairs and no symptoms of a sluggish bowel, you'll be on your way, as someone else will be waiting for your bed.
Sins

BeckyH
14th October 2005, 11:32 PM
6 months? 9 months? 18 MONTHS???? yikes i would have gone stir crazy. and i thought i had it tough. thanks for reminding me i didn't, sins

Phil
14th October 2005, 11:40 PM
I have been told three weeks for kyphosis surgery however i am sure they say extra time to cover themselves. No such thing as a stupid question mate so chill.

mark
14th October 2005, 11:49 PM
Hi Phil

Have you had a date yet for your surgery. Heres hoping it's soon
take care mate

mark

claire
15th October 2005, 11:32 AM
relaesed from prison oh I mean hospital 13 days post op after 2 stage surgery. :P

Phil
15th October 2005, 11:36 AM
No date yet. By the end of this month 10 months would have passed with no appointment or anything. So i will be calling for some answers. No doubt i will be unsuccessful.

RocketQueen
15th October 2005, 11:58 AM
The thing you have to remember Mr John! :). Is that with ANY major invasive surgery (sorry if the title scares u, remmeber ur in good hands) it's all a bit hit and miss. Everyone reacts differently to the drugs, differently to the aneasthetic, cope differently with pain, it's a touch n go, trial and error. So the main point of that paragraph is, the surgoen prolly can't really tell you how long you will have to stay in after the op, even though he is working on an average, he can't say, it wont be any longer than, or any less than.
My second point is they will prolly tell you 3 weeks thinking you'll almost def be out by then, so u don't moan and say, you sed id be out in 1 week, 2 week, whatever. It's prolly their policy, we know your lovely and wouldnt care, but they prolly have some right horrd patients in moanin to go home 24-7

I hope u got ur package this morning John x

Amazed Jean
15th October 2005, 12:32 PM
I have a theory that if you are big enough pain in the butt that the staff wants to get rid of you but its a mistake if you think its going to be the right thing to get out as fast as you can. At the hospital they have instant access to any "stuff" you might need medical wise and they clean up the bathroom for you !

healthinjoy
15th October 2005, 02:59 PM
I was in the hospital for a SHORT 9.5 months BEFORE surgery and 3 months after surgery (stayed in bed the last 3 months after surgery). And THAT folks, was NOT a long stay. My friends all stayed much longer. That year at NCOH was a wonderful part of my life and I would not trade it for anything. (I would however trade the end result of the stay.)

What is really really scarey to me is you guys having surgery and going home within days.

RocketQueen
15th October 2005, 09:08 PM
Why? WHat was the end result?

healthinjoy
15th October 2005, 09:57 PM
RocketQueen,
When I was readmitted early 1965 (at the age of 14)... the jacket cast they put on me (not the usual localizer) was crooked. One of the doctors didn't like the cast but another doctor pointed out my mom was visiting me (from Maryland) and having to stay in a motel... pointing out the expense. (the hospital was in North Carolina.) So instead of changing the cast they let me go home for 8 months in that cast. When I got out of the cast I was shaped like it. My grandmother also pointed out the cast looked crooked... but doctors were like gods and certainly knew what they were doing and what was best. My dad was in Vietnam at the time so he was not around. When I was removed from the cast at age 15 they did not admit me into the hospital to try to get my breathing function up even though by then we were living in North Carolina again. It was since I was put in that cast that I have had a restricted respiratory system. I am still shaped like that cast.

Since we tend to be a product of our experiences... I am sure this particular experience is ONE of the reasons for my not so sweet attitude toward medical professionals... and why I encourage folks to pay attention to their bodies and take charge in any area they have power to do so. No one knows your body like you do... after all, you are the one who lives in it. Do not ever be afraid to question.

Joan

RocketQueen
15th October 2005, 10:16 PM
Thats terrible. Hopefully with the research and new techniques no one will ever have to share your experience.
Your last sentance, very good advice x

sally333
16th October 2005, 12:55 AM
Kyphosis surgery for me is on November 22nd.To two stage surgery,side and back.107 kyphosis reduced to mabey 40.Fused from T2 TO L4.Two very long rods,two cross links and 25 or more screws.Besides your back being fixed in surgery for kyphosis your shoulders will also be pulled back and so will your ribs.
Hospital stay for me I was told was two or three days in neuro ICU and five days in a regular med surge room.So mabey seven days in the hospital all together.

sally333
16th October 2005, 01:07 AM
I think that we all forget what it was like fifteen or twenty years ago,compared to now.
I work in a hospital.Way back when they used to keep people for everything,tonsills,gall blader,appendics ect.they would keep them for weeks.
Now most of the surgerys like that are same day or one day and your out.That is if there are no complacations.
The other thing is that health care has come a long way since then,people do get out faster.
In the states,we actually have to go by are insurance,they say one day your out in one days they say seven days your out in seven days.The insurance sucks,it should not be up to them.
I myself am going home alone after surgery,hope they keep me untill I am ready.
Unless there is an infection in any surgery or any complacations you are out the day the insurance says they will only pay for so many days for certain things.