PDA

View Full Version : Surgery date.

sally333
17th September 2005, 02:37 AM
:woe:
Well I had my apointment with ortho today.My surgery will be November 22nd.

I am so lucky I found this sight,just two weeks ago.I am on everyday,reading and learning everything everone has to offer.There really is alot of usefull information here.

I am now really getting nervous as I have a date set,as you all have been there,I am sure.

I actually can't get it into my head that I am really going to be having this done.I am in so much pain now I can't wait for the surgery to be over and I can start healing.I do hope this takes all the pain away so I can once again be normal.I don't know what life is anymore without this pain as I have been in it for so long.

(years)

I sure hope the surgical pain doesn't last so long.

I am having the (eaiser to spell)side surgery and the back surgery done,for kyphosis of 107degrees.This will be taken down to about 40degree.I will be fused and roded from T2 to L4.I will be in nicu for three days and regular room for about five or six.I will have a n/g tube-chest tube-cath and ivs,the first few days and don't know much about after that.
I will let you all know how it goes as soon as I am back home and up to sitting at the computer for awhile,I hope I go threw with it.I now I will it just doesn't seem real yet.

andrea
17th September 2005, 08:37 AM
That's great that you have a date, and it's really not long off at all. I'm sure those who have had surgery have some excellent advice on preparing for surgery and what to expect, and i'm sure you've read the stories and experiences that people have been through recently. I haven't been through the surgery part of scoliosis so dont have any experience to share with you myself.

If you can, find a family member who would register on the site to keep us up to date with how the surgery went and how you're recovering. They can then also relay any messages from us to you in hospital to cheer up your day :D

Best of luck with your preparation.
Andrea
x

BeckyH
17th September 2005, 10:04 AM
i'm glad you have a date, it should mean an end to your pain eventually. however, you have to prepare yourself for a lot of pain (many people find this helps, as it can turn out not as bad as you thought, but on the other hand if you're not so well prepared, it can get you really down to have unexpected amounts of pain) i found pain to be really well managed by my anaesthetist.

are you going to be having help at home after surgery from friends and/or family? (sorry, i forgot what your situation is there)

i'm sure it'll be fine and just remember to keep asking us questions! :squeeze:

sins
17th September 2005, 11:59 AM
Sally,
It's good to hear you have a date and you know we'll be right here for you, before and after the surgery.
Sins

Lizzie89
17th September 2005, 12:18 PM
Good Luck Sally, surgery really is worth it, and im sure nearly everyone who has had it on this site will agree with me on that one :-)

Like Becky said feel free to ask us anything about the surgery and check out the thread about preparation for it on this site (if u havent already)

All the best :wave:

sally333
17th September 2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by andrea@Sep 17 2005, 07:37 AM
That's great that you have a date, and it's really not long off at all. I'm sure those who have had surgery have some excellent advice on preparing for surgery and what to expect, and i'm sure you've read the stories and experiences that people have been through recently. I haven't been through the surgery part of scoliosis so dont have any experience to share with you myself.

If you can, find a family member who would register on the site to keep us up to date with how the surgery went and how you're recovering. They can then also relay any messages from us to you in hospital to cheer up your day :D

Best of luck with your preparation.
Andrea
x

Unfortunately my family is not involed with this site on the computer,even If I told them about it they would never understand why I come here.
So I guess it will have to wait untill I myself can get to it.

sally333
17th September 2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by marmyte@Sep 17 2005, 09:04 AM
i'm glad you have a date, it should mean an end to your pain eventually. however, you have to prepare yourself for a lot of pain (many people find this helps, as it can turn out not as bad as you thought, but on the other hand if you're not so well prepared, it can get you really down to have unexpected amounts of pain) i found pain to be really well managed by my anaesthetist.

are you going to be having help at home after surgery from friends and/or family? (sorry, i forgot what your situation is there)

i'm sure it'll be fine and just remember to keep asking us questions! :squeeze:

It doesn't sound like my family will be of any help to me after this surgery.I want to talk about the surgery now,yet my family only makes stupid commits and it is never brought up unless I bring it up.Its like they think im doing this for the heck of it.
The people I work with(which is people that work in an emergengy room,nurses and some enginers of the hospital)are of more help then my family.They understand what is going on.Thes co-workers have already starting donating me there vac time and they plan on buying my lots of tv dinnes for when I get home so I can cook for my self.Two live by me and plan on helping me with littles chores around the house things like that.
I live by myself and this will be tough for sometime but I can manage I always have,but its not the same when one does not get any help from there own parents and siblings.
It makes me rather sad

This is why I am on this sight because I have come to depend on all you guys,it does calm me down abit,when I start to worry about the whole thing.

Thank-you all

sins
17th September 2005, 03:10 PM
Sometimes families let us down because they can't deal with the situation themselves.This applies not just to scoliosis, but to many other conditions as well.
All you need are a few good friends to give a helping hand for the first few weeks.Plan in advance to have meals frozen,pick out clothing that will be easy to get on and off,and move things you're going to need from the top shelf.
You can keep your mind occupied and this will help you cope better.Even spending time here will help to pass the time.
Sins

Lizzie89
17th September 2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by sins@Sep 17 2005, 02:10 PM
.Plan in advance to have meals frozen,pick out clothing that will be easy to get on and off,and move things you're going to need from the top shelf.

And the bottom shelf for that matter (you wont be allowed to bend down for a while, and although you can buy a "helping hand" from most hospitals, its easier to move stuff before hand :-D )

BeckyH
17th September 2005, 05:14 PM
yep, everything needs to be somewhere between waist and chest height. we don't have a tall fridge and i hated not being able to bend over and see what was inside...

Phil
17th September 2005, 07:03 PM
I am pleased you have your date! Looks like your surgery will be well before mine. Sounds a lot more organised so have faith. I would take on board what Sins says regarding families. Good luck!

straightXedge
19th September 2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by sally333@Sep 17 2005, 01:37 AM
:woe:
Well I had my apointment with ortho today.My surgery will be November 22nd.
Ohh,
you go in 4 days after me

Good Luck :kiss: