PDA

View Full Version : Appointment with orthotist

tonibunny
13th September 2005, 04:06 PM
Hi everyone,

I had my appointment with an orthotist today, to get measured for a brace to help support my back and protect my two remaining lumbar discs from wear and tear. It was great! I can't believe how efficient and friendly the health service staff are in Sheffield. I am so impressed with them.

I was put into traction to pull out the two remaining discs, and then the orthoist took measurements. He's going to make me a fabric brace with boning that is custom fitted to pull in a certain way (it's going to push my ribcage and hip away from each other on my righthand side). It will be quite like a standard lingerie corset really, only the boning will run in a different direction and it will be shorter on one side than the other. At first they were thinking of giving me a standard plastic Boston brace style corset, but these are a lot easier to wear and also are relatively easier to make as they don't need to cast me for it, so I am really happy!

Amazingly they are going to have it made and ready for the initial fitting in two weeks time, and then they'll note any adjustments that need to be made and it should all be ready and finished in about 4 weeks.

Yay!
Toni xx

Sealy
13th September 2005, 04:26 PM
Toni,

I'm so excited for you !!! You'll probably start a new fashion
craze :-D

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
13th September 2005, 04:27 PM
Wow! thats fantastic.
So glad you're happy about it too, and it seems to be very quick.

Best of luck,

Lizzie89
13th September 2005, 04:32 PM
Oh wow, glad youve got on well Toni

Good luck with the corset, im sure that'll work better than a boston for your needs...

All the best

sins
13th September 2005, 06:12 PM
That's excellent service Toni. Seems like good sense the way he's setting up the brace.
Sins

BeckyH
13th September 2005, 06:14 PM
fabalas dahling. no doubt you'll be messrs dolce and gabbana's next muse :D

Jmullings
13th September 2005, 06:22 PM
That's brilliant Toni. How much will you have to wear the brace? Is it something you have to wear all the time like a boston or is it one you only wear for a few hours at a time?
I have to agree with you completely about the health service up here in Sheffield. It is amazing. I have had an incredible service from them up here compared to the Royal United Hospital in Bath where I went as a teenager. And the staff are so friendly.
Where did you have it fitted, The Hallamshire or Northern General ?

andrea
13th September 2005, 07:20 PM
I'm thrilled that you're getting good service Toni, and you'll have the corset/brace soon. I hope it's everything you want!

Abbi
13th September 2005, 11:18 PM
Thats brillant toni, I am so glad you got seen quickly and the service was good!!! :D

tonibunny
13th September 2005, 11:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I'll be wearing this brace voluntarily, so as and when I feel it'll help. I've been getting a lot of pain in my lower back and righthand side (on the inside of my lumbr curve) recently and found that wearing a lumbar support really helped, but the one I bought didn't quite fit my back as I am shortwaisted and uneven due to the lower curve/fusion, and I couldnt find any others in the shops that fitted properly. I mentioned this to the physio at my pain clinic and he arranged for me to see the orthotist so they could custom-make me one! Brilliant service eh?

Jo, it's being fitted at the Hallamshire. All my treatment is there, though I've been to casualty at the Royal Nothern twice and had to stay in overnight so I know that hospital quite well too :-) It costs me a fortune to keep coming here and it's annoying having to keep travelling but my god, it is SO worth it :D

Jmullings
14th September 2005, 08:00 AM
Well it sounds like you are getting a much better service up here compared to London.

I have just gone back to work this week so it is a bit manic, but the next time you come up we will have to do that coffee !!!

Joy
14th September 2005, 03:29 PM
Toni, that is fantasic! I am very excited for you!!

jfkimberly
19th September 2005, 11:16 AM
Since it's fabric and boning, I'm wondering if it will be very supportive? I really want to know how you get on with this... If it works out for you I might push for it, even after I was turned down last year. Maybe if I can't find a doctor here to do it, I could come over there. I just learned that I have insurance that will cover part of my medical overseas.

debrasym
20th September 2005, 11:56 AM
Hi Tonibunny, it is Deb here. The corset sounds like the perfect solution. Wishing you comfort galore from it. Can you choose the fabric? Maybe for some inserts? Yes, you may well start a new fashion trend :-)

tonibunny
20th September 2005, 12:46 PM
Hi Deb, sadly it's going to be strong surgical canvas. Still, that's nicer than the flesh-coloured plastic of my old braces :D I was thinking that I could maybe send it to a corset-maker who could copy the measurements/design into a groovy satin version though!

Edited to add: I found the photo of myself that was take just before my last costoplasty.......see here (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/index.php?s=&showtopic=2038) :-)

debrasym
21st September 2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks for posting the photo ToniBunny. Now I know where your name comes from :-) Yes, my back is very similar to how yours was pre op in the bunny costume. I think my rib prominence is a little bigger. How techniques have improved over the years. Your result is remarkable. I am looking forward to surgery now after seeing your photos and hearing your account of what is involved. Can you believe actually looking forward to pain?! :-) My surgeon recently said that everyones back is different. And thoracoplasty as a stand alone is a truly custom op with the outcome depending on degree of residual curve, amount of rib prominence, age of patient etc. Bearing this in mind I still believe I will be happy with the result he will achieve. Warm regards, Deb

zerodegrees
21st September 2005, 12:23 PM
cool - am very pleased for you. Might request one for myself too but mine would be to fool everyone into thinking I had a six pack!

Cheers

John