PDA

View Full Version : After surgery questions

sally333
9th September 2005, 05:03 PM
From ones own experiences--I know everone is different
How long does the chest tube stay in?

How long does the ng tube stay in?

How long do you have to have a foley cath?

How long are you in icu?

How long before they allow one to get up on there own?

I live by myself are there any problems I should consider with out anyone to help me.Like cooking,siting up,getting to the bathroom..ect...

I hope I am not being stupid by asking but I am really curious.

sally333
9th September 2005, 05:15 PM
Im sorry,I forgot to mention this was for kyphosis surgery,the side and back one.Sorry I don't feel the need to get to technical.

Abbi
9th September 2005, 05:40 PM
well for my scoli surgery my chest drain was in for three days. my cather was in for 5. I didnt have an ng tube. I was in ICU overnight. and as forwalking...they got me out of bed on the friday (three days post op) but I couldnt walk alone - I was very shaky....I found I could walk on my own by the monday - 6days post op.

hope that helped :-)

Liv
9th September 2005, 05:46 PM
I also had the 2-stage-at-once-surgery 6 years ago. I stayed in ICU just for the night, I didn't have a ng tube, my chest tube stayed in longer than normal (10 days), I had the foley catheter for 5 or 6 days, I got up and walked (slowly) after 5 days and I left the hospital after 11 days. How old are you, Sally? (sorry if this has been asked before) I was 16 when I had the surgery, and I pretty much relied on others for a month or more.

tonibunny
9th September 2005, 06:14 PM
You're certainly not being stupid Sally - perhaps we ought to have a sticky on this subject, and these are questions that lots of people ask.

My last fusion was in 1993 so this may not be so helpful, but I had a chest drain for about 2 weeks (they stuck it in during my first stage, then I had about a week before they did the second stage, then it was in for another week after that at least), and a catheter in for about 3 weeks (ditto). I didn't have an NG tube, just a saline drip.

I walked about 10 days after the second stage, and was able to get up on my own after about 3 weeks (that was when they took the catheter out). I was in ICU for one night after both stages.

When you get home you'll probably still be experiencing a lot of discomfort, so you should take things nice and slowly. They won't let you out of hospital unless you can make it to the bathroom on your own, so don't worry there :-) As far as washing goes, make sure you have a slip-proof matt in your bath or shower. You'll be able to get yourself in and out of bed, and get up out of chairs and things, but it's a lot easier to manage sitting in a rigid chair (like a dining chair) rather than a squashy sofa.

It will be uncomfortable to lift and carry any sort of weight, so avoid things like taking the rubbish out, cooking with heavy pans of water, and vacuuming. Gradually you'll feel better and stronger and will be able to do more and more. Don't bend over to put stuff in the washing machine either!

Is there any chance you could get a friend/family member to come and stay with you for a few days when you get back home?

BeckyH
9th September 2005, 08:20 PM
i was in ICU for 19 hours, had my chest drain taken out at 3 days post op, catheter came out at 4 days post op, i don't think i had an ng tube - i just had an IV drip thingy (what toni said :D), i was first out of bed at three days post op and walking well by 5 days post op (just to let you know, it's only now at almost 8 weeks post op that i'm walking like my old self, as in at a normal pace and comfortable without someone shadowing me outside the confines of the house)

partly due to being really lazy, i still hardly do anything for myself. i drive now and i made my dad a birthday cake on wednesday, plus i'm starting swimming next week but i still can't lift anything too heavy and if i'm walking around for a couple of hours i get tired.

it's also worth noting that my fusion is relatively minor (T11-L3) though if i'd been fitter before i had surgery, who knows how i'd have been. it really does depend on the individual

Becky
10th September 2005, 04:56 PM
I was in ICU for 2 days HDU for about 3 days and in ward for about 3 days. I had chest drain taken out on 2nd day when I was moved to HDU. I got out of bed after 5 days because I was still on oxygen as my lung hadnt fully recovered from the anterior operation (through the side) but didnt walk untill 7th day and I was out on 8th day. I was on catheter till about 6th day when I could get out of bed for bedside toilet and I only had IV tubes. Like Marmyte I only had a small fusion T12-L3.

Because im young and lazy i relied on my parents all the time, but I dont think i could of cooked myself food because I felt sick everytime I stood up. I could walk outside fine after a few weeks, but wasnt comfortable walking till a couple of months post-op.

Lizzie89
10th September 2005, 06:39 PM
These are only estimates- i can remeber exactly...

How long does the ng tube stay in?
i didnt have one
How long do you have to have a foley cath?
i had mine for 13 days
How long are you in icu?
20 hours or so
How long before they allow one to get up on there own?
Do you mean how long till i was mobilised? - 12 days, but it took me a little longer to be able to get out of bed alone as i was very weak.

Erm about living on your own - you can sort things out before you go to make life easier- you wont be able to drive straight away so have some-one to take you back home. Put everything in your imidiate reach - no low down drawers as you cant bend, everything else should be looked at by your OT...

I dont think your being stupid at all... i wish i had asked these before i went in :roll:

Marti
11th September 2005, 06:16 PM
I had an anterior fusion 2 years ago, when i was 14. I didn't have an NG tube. My chest tube was in for about five days, as was my catheter. I was in ICU for about a day. I got up on my third day (i think) and was walking around by my fourth day. By the time I went home, I was able to easily walk up to my bedroom on our third floor by myself.