PDA

View Full Version : Scheuermann's - Fear Factor!

zerodegrees
6th September 2005, 02:35 PM
Hi everyone 8) Am new to this form. I have previously used a forum in the usa & was contacted by sins who said there are a few people with Kyphosis on here (in particular Mark & Phil!)

I am 36 yo male (glasgow) with Scheuermanns Kyphosis & after much deliberation and much fear decided to have surgery. My date came thru yesterday and its for 17th October @ Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham with Mr Webb.

I would appreciate any words of wisdom & encouragement as although I have a very supportive partner, I am incredibly petrified of the surgery and what the future holds (not least a fear of dying on the operating table:) I could survive ok without surgery but am fed up being tormented by my kyphosis!

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this site and look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

John :niceone:

tonibunny
6th September 2005, 02:42 PM
Welcome to SSO John! :welcome2: :D

I'm so glad that you've found us, we'll try to keep you cheered up as you prepare for your surgery. Mr Webb is one of the best surgeons in the country, so you are in brilliant hands. There are lots of people here who've been through the surgery so hopefully we can help to reassure you that it's not so scary really (difficult I know :hug:).

Just imagine how good you're going to feel after the surgery, when you have a new, straighter back! :D

Toni xxx

mark
6th September 2005, 03:03 PM
Hello John i am 34 and have the same kyphosis as yourself if you want to pm me about anything them feel free.

Everyone on this site are so friendly and its a nice little community of people who really support one another.

Take care and try not to worry although thats easier said than done

Mark

sins
6th September 2005, 03:37 PM
Hi John and welcome! :welcome:
I hadn't realised you were having surgery with Mr webb. He has an outstanding reputation and has done a very complex surgery for Titch (site owner).
I think Phil's surgery is due in October as well, he'll bring us up to date with that I'm sure.
Having such a major surgery is terrifying and I must admit to being one who's chickening out of a possible revision surgery as I have two small kids and a very large mortgage.
having a supportive partner will make it easier on you and as you're 36 you're still young and fit enough to cope well with the operation.
I guess you just have to focus of the potential positives, namely a reduction in pain and a cosmetic improvement and an extra inch or two in height.
Sins

titch
6th September 2005, 04:28 PM
Hi John!

I'm definitely one of Mr Webb's success stories :D There were various factors that made my case an unusually complex one - mostly related to the prior surgery I had had.

The first surgery left me with a kyphosis at the back of my waist, which was rigidly fused both anteriorly and posteriorly. In addition I had an anterior rod which it was going to be too tricky to remove, so most of the work of getting me back upright was done by taking a large osteotomy (a wedge of bone cut from the back of the spine, which is then "closed", effectively pulling the spine backwards and correcting the problem).

The spinal unit at QMC is very good, and they really do take good care of you. In particular I was relieved that they really did keep my pain well controlled, which was a difficult task because I had been in such pain even before the surgery and was taking quite a high level of painkillers.

The assisting surgeon on my surgery was Mr Cole - I'm not sure if he's still there or not, but if he is I highly recommend him as well. Great guy - very willing to answer even the most unexpected questions. The anaesthetist I had was Mr Jardine, who is quite a character - I doubt many people get away with cheerfully referring to Mr Webb, director of the centre, as Webby :lol:

titch

Jonny
6th September 2005, 04:33 PM
Welcome to SSO John :wave: I'm 17 and had surgery for primarily scoliosis (although with a significant kyphosis element) last July and this March.

There's not much left unsaid, but nothing beats the feeling you get when you first look in the mirror after a reduction of kyphosis, and see that you have a long, graceful neck (or so it looks at the time!) that you didn't have before.

Leona (BarmyArmy) will also be glad to find another Scot here :D I was in Glasgow briefly a couple of days ago, playing at the RSAMD.

Hope you enjoy your time here :welcome2:

zerodegrees
6th September 2005, 05:50 PM
:bounce: Thanks everyone! I have had more positive & supportive comments today from you guys than I have had in a couple of years at the other slightly depressing forum!

One of the main reasons it has taken me such a long time to feel positive about the surgery (I've been offered dates but chickened out!), is that apart from my back I am completely happy with life and totally sorted (fantastic partner, good job (air crew) & scary mortgage!) My dilema is that I ain't in too much pain but can't bear the way my back looks! Despite assurances from everyone that it doesn't look too bad, it genuinley bothers me. I also worry about not being able to return to work though Mr Webb says he doesn't forsee a problem with that! I would hate to loose everything for the sake of vanity!

Anyway, I'm now ranting on :P My date came through yesterday & my initial reaction was to bolt for the hills but today am slightly calmer. No doubt I'll now be traumatising you all with my fear of surgery & you'll all be glad when its done!

Thanks for listening guys & if I can offer any advice to anyone then please get in touch.

Cheers

John

ps heres a quick run through of my most pressing questions for today....if anyone has the answers then I'll be most grateful!

a) whats the week between the anterior / posterior surgeries like?
b) any idea of height increases following surgery for scheuermann's? (am 6ft at moment with 78 degrees kyphosis)

Lizzie89
6th September 2005, 05:50 PM
:welcome: to the crew :-D

I hope you enjoy it here

Abbie
6th September 2005, 06:27 PM
:welcome: to sso!

Jonny
6th September 2005, 06:40 PM
Those were pretty much my questions when I met these guys two years ago :-)

Your height increase could be up to four or five inches, depending on how they do it - if Mr Webb takes massive osteotomies to flatten your thoracic spine, you may only gain an inch or two.

It's not just gaining height from your back being straight, it's also gaining height from your neck being extended and upright.

The week between stages - well, this depends on the surgeon, but in my case I was allowed to start walking between stages because he'd fixed a rod on the anterior, and so I'd had what would be a completed surgery for someone going in to have just a standalone anterior surgery. I didn't walk before the second stage though, in the end.

The other possibility is that he'll do an anterior release (remove discs and pack the disc spaces with bone graft) but NOT put a rod in, in which case you may be told to stay on your back. But again it differs - apparently Joy had an anterior release before her posterior fusion and was allowed to go home and go shopping between stages!

BeckyH
6th September 2005, 08:29 PM
hi john, and welcome to SSO!

i'm becky, i'm 7 weeks post op from just an anterior release and fusion, fused (well, more like fusing :D) T11-L3. i was told yesterday that i'm free to swim, drive and ride a horse (yeah, wasn't expecting that for another six months at least!) and i'm 18. i was diagnosed 14 and over the last year or so the fact that i wasn't symmetrical started to bother me, so i can completely understand your "superficial" reasons for wanting surgery.

i can't really help you with the posterior side of things, but for surgery tips in general, read the sticky at the top of this forum - there are loads of invaluable tips there (my top one - don't try and blow your nose after surgery :D it may hurt)

feel free to rant away - the rest of us do and it's perfectly normal to feel apprehensive. i had my parents and several stuffed animals the whole time i was in hospital - jonny met the menagerie when he came to visit me!

so enjoy it here and ask as many questions as you want, that's why we're all here

Thaleias spirit
6th September 2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by zerodegrees@Sep 6 2005, 03:50 PM
Anyway, I'm now ranting on (....)

No doubt I'll now be traumatising you all with my fear of surgery & you'll all be glad when its done!

b) any idea of height increases following surgery for scheuermann's? (am 6ft at moment with 78 degrees kyphosis)
Hi John & :welcome2:

Im Chele, I'm 32 and have kyphoscoliosis. As of yet I haven't had surgery, not particularly looking forward to the fact I may have it but I'll deal with that when I get there.

Feel free to rant, everyone does at some stage.
The more you rant the better you fit in I think. :glee:

There are plenty here with experience of surgery to know what's going through your head. In a few weeks time it will all be over you and you'll be offering advice to the next batch of "newbies" we get...

And sorry I have to ask but you are 6 feet tall? :-o
And you'll probably gain another few inches after surgery ..

So if you didn't want to be any taller can I have those extra inches?
(I mean ... I could realy do with some being only 4'3 ... )

Ivan had me promised some of his inches but I'm still waiting :woe:

Anyways enjout your stay here !!

chele

Little Ali
6th September 2005, 10:29 PM
Hi John,
:welcome2: As you've already seen, everyone is lovely and really supportive here! I'm certainly glad I found the site.

I'm Ali, 24 and have Spina Bifida and Kyphoscoliosis. I had a Webb Morley instrumentation when I was 12 to fix the lumbar spine but am now suffering pain in the rib cage. I have an appointment to see my consultant next month.

I hope this site helps you out alot and I look forward to speaking to you!

BarmyArmy
7th September 2005, 12:12 AM
:jump: Hurrah another Scot to play with :jump:

Welcome to our wonky family John. :D My name is Leona and I'm in Dundee. I'm 29 and have mild scoliosis with no chance of surgery so I can't offer any pearls of wisdom on the matter, sorry. However I'm looking forward to seeing you around the site and I just wanted to say hi.

Amazed Jean
7th September 2005, 02:54 AM
John, Welcome aboard! Your surgery outcome is what you focus on. Think positive. Dream a bit and be glad that you have the opportunity to make yourself more comfortable.

zerodegrees
7th September 2005, 01:23 PM
8) Thanks everyone! You're all marvellous! Came home from Toronto today (work) to actually see the letter with the date on it for the first time! Amazingly I was much calmer than I thought I would be. The last time I was given a date I responded with high drama (which you would all have been proud of & involved copious amounts of red wine) & promptly chickened out on the spot!

Fingers crossed this time I'll do it. No doubt I will be leaning on you all extensivley over the next few weeks but rest assured I'll be sticking around and will be glad to participate & offer whatever advice I can!

cheers

John

ps I am most definetely not the ideal role model for anyone who is looking for inspiration in the bravery department 8)

mark
7th September 2005, 01:56 PM
I'm glad you haven't decided to chicken out don't worry we will all be here help, guide and support through your forthcoming surgery. If you ever get or start feeling panicky post here or pm me and we will help you through it.

BeckyH
7th September 2005, 08:11 PM
you don't have to be brave. bravery and modesty go out the window a bit :D but you just have to repeat over and over that it'll be worth it in the end, and fortunately there are a lot of us here to prove that to be true

Phil
9th September 2005, 06:37 PM
Hi John, I have Kyphosis as mentioned. Was due for surgery in October but now looking to be more like Nov/Dec. I met up with a girl some months ago who was operated on by Mr Webb. Her case was not a ggreat one sorry to say, nothing to do wioth Mr Webb though, i am assured he is one of the best.