PDA

View Full Version : Scar tissue?

Sarah
17th April 2004, 02:45 AM
I'm not sure if I'm even creating a post right

I'm thinking of going to the gp to get referred or do whatever to see a plastic or who ever deals with scars to try and clean my back up a little from the mess of my scars that I was left with from infection so it doesn't look so sightly & I'm a little curious for info.

Has anyone had surgery on their scar to lessen the severity of the look of it, maybe because it ended up being a really wide scar or going all crabby from infection, red and raised or other reasons? If so what did it involve? Thought I'd ask the knowledgable ones here before I went looking for something online :-) . Thanks.

Kayla
17th April 2004, 07:20 AM
One time my scar (not my back my neck) swelled up REALLY big like a humongous bubble you blow with waving the wand in the air not your blow yah it was BIG and red it was really nasty I couldnt even lay on my back they thought it was because some of the stitches got caught inside and caused me to break out and they were going to send my to a plastic surgeon but the key word is were because then we found out I was hemmoriging SP.? yah so sorry I just ranted and couldnt even help you

Jessica*
17th April 2004, 09:15 AM
I didn't think scars could haemorage. Not I've never had anything done about my scars but then again, I've never needed to.

Kayla
17th April 2004, 09:19 AM
no my scar did not hemmorage my brain was so it made some kind of effect on the scar which wasnt that old or maybe I wasnt hemmoringing maybe that was when I had mennigitus and I was allergic to the vancomyacin? oh no I am confused I spelled a lot of things wrong too!

mark
17th April 2004, 06:18 PM
Sarah i am busily doing my dissertation on body piercing, tattooing and micro pigmentation. I have just come accross a a passage in a document i am reading that says micropigmentation (which is semi - permanent make up applied like a tattoo) quote may be used as a "medical application such as camouflaging scar tissue"

So may be if you have beauty salon near by who perform this procedure it may be useful just to go and get some advice.

Hope that was of some help to you

Take care

Mark

Kayla
17th April 2004, 09:50 PM
A beauty salon? They can perform that procedure?

Jonny
18th April 2004, 12:41 AM
Could it have been a keloid Kayla?

Kayla
18th April 2004, 01:26 AM
whats a keloid?

Marti
18th April 2004, 04:50 AM
I think a keloid is when something happens to your scar and it gets really puffy? but I might be wrong :-?

Kayla
18th April 2004, 05:06 AM
well my scar did become really puffy but for another reason I dont think keloid

Kayla
18th April 2004, 06:25 AM
my mom reminded me why its because fluid was building up hehe so it wasnt an allergic reaction

Blair
18th April 2004, 09:29 AM
Yup. Keloids are icky, puffy scars. I have a really nice one on my knee from that time that a kid in the grade below me called me something not very nice, and I took off after him to give him the necessary attitude adjustment..
Anyhooo.... It happened because it was VERY slow to heal.... If I'm cold, it almost turns black.
Thankfully, my surgery scars are just normal scars...

Pikey
18th April 2004, 10:52 AM
I have a friend who is a Physiotherapist and she said you can buy some cream that reduces scar tissue , i'll try and find out what its called .

Sarah
18th April 2004, 08:53 PM

No salon could alter my scar by the pigmentation thingy. If they could I'd be paying them by the thousands and you for suggesting it, but thanks for the thought :-)

How long's a cream been out?

I saw scar fading patch things in Boots ages ago but the ones I saw were costly for what was in the pack and had one heck of a lengthy process before any changes, if any, would happen. So didn't get them, plus a relation didn't think it would have done anything to my scar for how wide it was in places and raised at the bottom. :roll:

mark
19th April 2004, 12:05 AM
Yes never thought sarah sorry it may be worth consulting your Dr it may be done as a medicalprocedure in hospital on the NHS

Jonny
19th April 2004, 12:20 AM
What makes scars particularly likely to split?

Joy
19th April 2004, 12:31 AM
Maybe something with lasers??

Kayla
19th April 2004, 02:17 AM
yah I have seen a lot of creams and patches out there I know theres a curad or curaid scar therapy I wasn going to try it but said I dont want to pay $18 for somehitng thats is doubtful of working

Carly
19th April 2004, 02:50 AM
there was on a thing on slife about a girl using curaid and her scars look alot better, so i think it works

Kayla
19th April 2004, 04:07 AM
Yah but she is the only one that I have heard say that it works a lot of other people that I know have said it doesnt work

Marti
19th April 2004, 05:20 AM
I used vitamin e oil on mine while they were healing. I don't know if that's why they healed well, but they are healing pretty well. I don't know if that works at all if the scars are old though. Worth a try. I don't think the stuff is expensive at all.

Kayla
19th April 2004, 05:22 AM
Yah I have heard vitamin E works even just taking vitamin E tablets makes it look healthie rbut not go away

Jessica*
19th April 2004, 05:30 AM
I've heard of Vit. E oil on another forum ages ago, but also heard from someone (porbably a crazy nut at school) that it's hard to get hold of.
I never used anything on my scar and it healed up pretty nicely. Sadly it's fading too much, even my rib scar!

Oh and I think a Keloid scar is when it heals on the inside first instead of out. I don't know, all I know it's something to do with the healing process.

Marti
19th April 2004, 05:32 AM
I don't think it's hard to get a hold of here. I just told my mom I wanted some and she came back the next day with two bottles.

Kayla
19th April 2004, 04:02 PM
I looked up keloid

Keloids are an overgrowth of scar tissue at the site of a skin injury

jaedyn
20th April 2004, 04:27 PM
ah, i had a huge long response written to this... i'll just do it again in point form.

UV Therapy - some people that frequent the tanning studio i work at say that UV therapy has helped their scars. i used it myself back a while ago to make the keloid on my stomach fade (it had been dark for a looooooong time). this doesn't really work for everybody and you should be careful with young scars as they can burn easily.

Tattooing - some tattoo artists will tell you they can tattoo a skin colored ink over your scars to make them less noticeable. however, this is painful and can get pretty expensive, depending on how large your scar is. a lot of artists also will not tattoo over "pink" scars - they apparently have to be white before they'll touch them.

Vitamin E - helped my hip scar heal up really well after it split, and it also keeps my skin pliable and my scars soft to keep them from splitting again. doesn't work for everybody, but as vit E is so cheap, it's worth a try.

Curaid Scar Therapy - another inexpensive fix that again, doesn't work for everybody. apparently the best scars for it are "thin skin" scars (as opposed to fleshy or deep tissue scars).

Emu Oil - naturopathic fix that i find worked wonders for the various scars i have. works sort of like the Vitamin E, but it's a little more expensive and is a lot harder to find.

mark
20th April 2004, 05:08 PM
And you should be really carefull under those UV tubes too theyt can wrinkle you faster than a prune

:shock:

Kayla
20th April 2004, 11:55 PM
I wouldnt think UV would help the scars because the UV rays give you cancer and bleh

Sarah
21st April 2004, 01:28 AM
I forgot about the scar left from my 1st surgery when I was a child. My scar that runs along my ribs, not very often but sometimes pulls away from my ribs as though it's been snapped like an elastic band and feels like someone twanged me with one 2. Does anyone else get any strange sensations from their scars?

jaedyn
21st April 2004, 01:52 AM
*coughs* there isn't actually a link between UV rays (ie. indoor tanning) and cancer. regular tanning actually REDUCES your risks of colon, prostate, breast, and ovarian cancer. *nods*

Sarah, i get that feeling with the scar on my stomach all the time. feels as though someone got a good hold of it, stretched it out, and let it snap back into place. i hate it. *sticks her tongue out*

Kayla
21st April 2004, 04:09 AM
Oh Jenn sorry its just what I have read

llb
21st April 2004, 04:29 AM
While i know that vitamin e seems to work for a lot of people, i've read that it's not good to use because a lot of people have allergic reactions to it. Here's the link:

http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFu...9&src=hcnewshvi (http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=54767&src=n29&src=hcnewshvi)

mark
21st April 2004, 10:24 AM
I was thinking more of ageing the skin and cross infections through prolonged over use and unhygienic practices.

8)

In England they are some salon owners who are really in need of educating in how to run a tanning/beauty salon safely.

Thats one of my Jobs it's a tough job having to deal with them beautiful i mean beauty therapists but some has got to do it

:-D

jaedyn
23rd April 2004, 06:26 AM
*laughs* yeah, i've heard about the so-called sanitizing practices in some studios and it makes me sick... *gags* here in BC we have standards set by the health board and they do surprise inspections usually once every two weeks - just to come in and see how clean the place it. we have to keep it pretty immaculate.

i saw a client today that had tattooing done over her scar. she got white ink tattooed onto a really dark keloid, and the end result was a scar that was just a soft pinkish white. really nice, actually.

mark
23rd April 2004, 12:31 PM
Theres so many tanning studios in our borough its a wonder that they survive.

The latest fad over here is for spraying your body with a vegatable pigment that gives you a false tan for 7 days

Kayla
23rd April 2004, 08:31 PM
We have self tanning lotions and sprays here but thelotions turn your hand orange! (I didnt try it my sister did)

jaedyn
24th April 2004, 03:09 AM
we do that at our store, Mark and Kayla. we just call it "airbrushing". a lot of clients come in to get it done to cover up scars and stretch marks - it works surprisingly well.

quick fact - the chemical that tans you is called DHA. self-tanners or airbrush solutions that have low quality DHA will turn your skin orange. they will also make scars a greenish color (not sure why it does that). higher grade DHA-based solutions will perfectly mimic a tan, but they only last for about 4 - 6 days.

*is a certified airbrush technician now... *grins*

Marti
24th April 2004, 06:26 AM
There's booths you can go to now to get airbrush tanning that looks very realistic and is relatively inexpensive. I woul go to one, as I don't tan at all, but I've gotten used to my paleness and I actually like it now. Well, I like a bit of sun, but I hate getting sunburns. Getting sunburns definitely is bad for your skin.

Kayla
24th April 2004, 07:04 AM
I have never gotten a sunburn and I live in San DIego! ALthough I am asian so yah alreaady kinda dark but my family sunburns easily

Marti
24th April 2004, 07:11 AM
My cousins who are 1/2 Chinese don't really sunburn. I'm so envious!

Kayla
24th April 2004, 07:15 AM
yah I am half vietnameese and I dont sunburn easily

Marti
24th April 2004, 07:17 AM
It's kinda funny. My cousins could have looked exactly like their mother and burned easily, but they look very much like their father and don't show much of their mother, except they all have freckles! :-)

Kayla
24th April 2004, 07:32 AM
half chinese and have freckles? or other cousins

Marti
25th April 2004, 12:17 AM
nope, they're half Chinese and have freckles. They got the freckle gene from their mom. (see my sig and imagine ten times more freckles for an example of their mom).

Kayla
25th April 2004, 01:46 AM
lol I cant see many freckles on you

Marti
25th April 2004, 06:19 AM
Well, I have them all over my face. It doesn't show up in all pictures though. Neither do my bright red cheeks.

Back to the original subject, I just saw a commercial for a neosporin product that is used for scars, even surgery scars.

ivanleg
26th April 2004, 11:31 AM
Kayla, you're half Vietnamese?? So that explains your exotic looks. I'm sure you'll be popular with the boys when you're older. You know, when you change from being SSO Brat to a graceful SSO Swan.
:P :hunny:

Kayla
26th April 2004, 04:44 PM
LOL my looks have never been called exotic :shock: hehe Thanks Ivy