PDA

View Full Version : I am happy and mad at the same time..

Carly
2nd June 2004, 06:54 PM
As some of you know, i had my check up with my orthopedic doctor today. I was going in there expecting the worst, i felt my back had gotten alot worse and i hate my doctor so i was dreading it. I also only wear my brace for 9 hours a day instead of 16.
So i had an out of brace xray done and then we headed over to the clinic. I had to be measured (height wise) and whenever they say that, all the ladies at the desk started to laugh like they always do because i am so tall and no one can reach it.. hahaha soooo funny i am 180 cm / 5' 11! i they think i am done growing! YAHOO!
then a resident came in and had to get all my background info again and measured my curve. it was 27 which was awesome because last time it was 33. Then he went and got my main doctor and as she was walking in we heard her say "what is the point in wearing a brace if you only wear it 9 hours" i thought that was so rude because we were sitting right there and it was like she didnt want us to hear her but did at the same time... when i asked her to repeat it she wouldnt. I was so mad my blood was boiling.
she measured my curve again and she measured it at 33, the same it was last time. I was happy, it had not increased.
Then she asked me why i was weaning myslef off the brace by myself. I relpied with " i was good at first but i slowly stopped." she pretty much said that was unacceptable. Yes it was but to me if my curve has not increased, obvisoully the 9 hours of wearing the brace was enough! 16 would have been a waste of time! (okay not a waste of time but more than i needed)
she then talked to my mom like she was an idioit telling her physio and massage were not nessacery even though she is the one that suggested physio... ARGH!
her final verdict was 2 months of wearing the brace for 9 hours a day and then i am done!! YES YES YES! but i find it funny after telling me that weaning myslef off was bad and 9 hours is not enough she chooses to follow my schedule! HAHAHA
anywho i have to go see her in 6 months... and then i think i am done! i hate her so incredibly much and hate seeing her. I seriously almost attacked her the way she was talking to us.

and one more thing, my mom thinks this is weird- after i finish my 2 more months- i am just supposed to stop completely as in never wear it again! wouldnt it be better to slowly stop and go once in while and then stop or does it make a difference??

BlueIce
2nd June 2004, 07:49 PM
to reply at your last question, i wouldn't stop right away. I hated to wear my brace so i'm not really the right person to tell you this, but if you can cope with wearing it for a litlle longer, it won't do you any harm.

your doctor doens't seem like a very nice person. I didn't like my doc either when i was young, the way he told me something was wrong with my back went like this: "you see that row of trees outside? Well, one of them is crooked and we'll have to pull it straight, just like you"
saying that to a eight year old isn't very nice in my opinion... I remember crying all the way home and about an hour after we got home i was still crying. Obviously there are other ways to tell a child, but he had to tell me i was wrong and it absolutely needed to be "fixed" right away... I'm still kinda mad at him for being so rude back then.
Now he doens't bother me that much, he says things the way they are, no sugarcoating or anything and now i don't mind that.

jfkimberly
2nd June 2004, 08:57 PM
your doctor doesn't seem like a very nice person. -BlueIce
She sounds flat out rude. Can't you find a different doctor? Of course, if you're done growing, you won't have to see her much anyway. But still... *grumble* I hate rudeness. Is there some reason she doesn't like you? Did something happen the first time you went to see her?

sins
2nd June 2004, 09:35 PM
Carly,
I'm so pleased and relieved for you. When you're finished with this doctor,find a new one for your check ups.As for discarding your brace after 2 months, I would just stop wearing it after the time she said. That way you'll have 4 months to see if your curve is truly stable.A Brace is only doing some good for you if you're still growing.If you've finished growth then it's pointless.Put a big smile on your face and well done on escaping surgery.You've done absolutely brilliantly.

Marti
2nd June 2004, 10:39 PM
Woohoo! That's so great Carly! I'm so happy for you.

Your doctor sounds awful! That is incredibly rude. Sheesh...

Carly
3rd June 2004, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by jfkimberly@Jun 2 2004, 01:57 PM
Did something happen the first time you went to see her?
well on the last appointment she only ordered an in brace and we really wanted an out of brace, so we requested one. she got all ticked off.. maybe that is it

Carly
3rd June 2004, 03:48 AM
okay i just realized this and it finally struck me.... 2 more months of wearing my brace part time... that brings me to august 2nd!!! omg! the first thing i am doing is buying a nice pair of pjs and then my mom promised me a long time ago that she would take me to a hotel for a night!! YAHOO

ivanleg
3rd June 2004, 02:05 PM
Hi Carly
You've done sooo well avoiding surgery. And despite hardly wearing your brace your curves didn't even get worse?!
You are one lucky girl. As you can imagine I'm a tad envious after wearing my Milwaukee 23x7 for six years with an appalling final result.
Enjoy yourself and don't forget us when you win that modelling contract; what with your height and your great smile you should be a shoe-in.
Ivy

Carly
3rd June 2004, 02:28 PM
aaaww thanx ivy.. i will never get a modelling contract though.... too fat! i dont have the right proportions but it would be nice. And i could NEVER forget about you guys..... you are my 2nd family

only 60 more nights of wearing my brace!!

Jessica*
4th June 2004, 07:47 AM
Wow, that's good news. Sadly you can't avoid the worst of people, and it's quite disgraceful that a person like that is in such a high position in life as a doctor. I'd imagine they would need to learn social skills.
I guess to stick up for her in a tad way, Doctors see the all sorts of things, maybe she was dreading the possible. There are some people *points towards Ivy* who don't benefit with bracing, and there are some who do but just don't wear the brace, I guess she was annoyed that it could've been you. If I were her, and your curves did increase, I'd be annoyed. But you're so lucky how you are now.

I wouldn't know about your last question. I don't see the harm in just completely stopping wearing the brace, unless it makes you feel better, then you do whatever you want!

My suggestion. In August, buy your PJ's and sit and drnk some ot nice Milo by the fire, congratulating yourself and also thinking of me (*cough* Birthday on the 6th *cough*) :)

Well done :D

Carly
4th June 2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks Jessica! I will remember you on the 6th

BlueIce
5th June 2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Carly@Jun 4 2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks Jessica! I will remember you on the 6th
i'll remember you on the second, that's my birthday so we'll both be celebrating :-) it's pretty neat looking at your signature and knowing how more sleeps it is before i'm 20 :-)

Carly
5th June 2004, 07:14 PM
Hey august 2nd is when i am done wearing for brace!