PDA

View Full Version : Pneumex?

Sootyca
14th August 2005, 12:02 AM
I'll do an introductory post soon, but in the meantime - anyone any thoughts or experience of "The Fitness Lounge" who are based in London I believe.

Just flicking through some sites on alternative treatments (mainly for pain) and came accross this one which intrigued me: http://www.thefitnesslounge.co.uk/human/programs.php

There is also a testimony from a 51 yr old who has gone through the program (called Pneumex http://www.pneumex.com) and is glowing in its praise. It doesn't seem like an easy fix and will require constant exercise but I'm all for anything that means avoiding surgery!

Anyone heard of this or any thoughts on it?

Karen

Amazed Jean
14th August 2005, 10:21 AM
I hadn't heard of the programs mentioned. I gave a look at what the program offers to scoliosis patients.Hmmm? I can see that it might work to a point but I wouldn't try to do it without checking with a doctor/consultant first. It sounds like a logical thing -strengthening the specific muscles but I would hate for someone to just try this and lose the opportunity for bracing to work or get sloppy with the program and have spinal curves get worse because of noncompliance.

Lizzie89
14th August 2005, 02:54 PM
i basically second amazed- but if someone got a doctors go ahead and has the determination to stick at it i dont see why not.

gerbo
15th August 2005, 12:34 PM
you can find some further views on this treatment on the NSF webside (www.scoliosis.org/forum ), (type pneumex into the forum search facility.)

Opinions are clearly very divided.

looked at their webside, didn't think much of the testimonials and "science", however the concept of strengthening muscles to better support the spine seems attractive to me, unlikely to do a lot in larger curves though i would have thought

Sootyca
15th August 2005, 03:38 PM
I haven't decided what I think of it yet. I have well developed back muscles anyway (according to my doctor) due to working out several times a week, but it hasn't stopped me from developing a delightful looking hump on my back. :) Obviously I am probably not developing the right muscles. Motivation to do the exercises wouldn't be a problem but getting to London for sessions could cause a problem.

I think I will look into it a bit more and see whether I come up with anything. It is strange that it has been around for a while but is relatively unknown.

My confusion about the whole subject of scoliosis comes from having conflicting information thrown at me in such a short period of time. An osteopath said that I had developed it through having one leg longer than the other and it would be "cured" by having inserts built into my shoes to even me out. The consultant said this was a load of rubbish and I was uneven because of my spine. :nut:

So, which does come first - chicken or the egg? ;)

I guess I'll never know, but I am thinking of going down the "inserts in my shoes" route to get a problem with my knee sorted out so I can run again (everything is interlinked apparently). I came to the conclusion that I should stop exercising, become a couch potato and eat chocolate all day!!!!!

Thanks,

Karen
x

gerbo
15th August 2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Sootyca@Aug 15 2005, 01:38 PM
An osteopath said that I had developed it through having one leg longer than the other and it would be "cured" by having inserts built into my shoes to even me out.
take with lots of pinches of salt anybody who claims that he/she has an easy solution for scoliosis (at a fee ofcourse)

gerbo

BeckyH
15th August 2005, 08:17 PM
re-reading this it could be the osteopath being confused over the difference between postural and structural scoliosis, perhaps due to not seeing your xrays (or not being a proper doctor)

basically postural is when people slouch, structural is your actual vertebrae being out of line and you being able to do nothing about it (without the help of casts/braces in younger kids and surgery in severe cases for teenagers onwards)

i agree with what gerbo said to a certain extent, but it depends on the severity of an individual's scoliosis as to how "easy" the treatment/cure is

Marti
16th August 2005, 05:41 AM
Also, I think some people do develop scoliosis that is usually quite mild from having one leg longer than the other. So maybe that's another form of postural scoliosis.

scoligirl
16th August 2005, 04:47 PM
I got confused about this too, if one leg is longer the pelvis will tilt which will curve the spine, or if a spine has a curve in it the pelvis will tilt and pull one leg up?
I woundn't think about it too much, I got in a turmoil thinking about my left leg being longer so my left side of pelvis must be higher but my spine curves to the left(back view) but if was due to that leg being longer then surely it would curve to the right. Anyway the physiotherapist said that actually my legs are more or less the same length and that the curve is due to the spine. Also my x ray shows my hips look level but I had them lying down so maybe that could have made a difference to that.

Anyway she said if I had a lift in my shoe it would put me more off balance, so I think that shoe thing is mainly for people who were maybe born with one leg longer, rather than their spine causing it, but I don't know so don't listen to me, but actually in some people it may help, but I would not advise you to make your own shoes.

gerbo
18th August 2005, 07:11 PM
there is (a little bit) more information re pneumex treatment on this forum ; www.scoliosis-support.com (similar name to this forum)

gerbo