PDA

View Full Version : Anterior surgery...chest tubes, catheters and scars

floralgypsy
21st May 2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by lucinda@May 21 2004, 03:10 PM
Like Blair, the only thing I had in my back was a drainage tube .. and one in my side for the lungs, too .. now THOSE were not quite so wonderful .. although I'm sure they did the job well and everything! I just didn't have a great time with them. *shudder*
My chest drain was just like a hosepipe, same diameter! It was awful when they took it out-one nurse was holding me on my side, one was pulling the tube, and another stood waiting to close the hole that was literally like pulling on a draw-string purse! That was the worst experience ever! It made me feel so sick :woe:

Liv
21st May 2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by lucinda@May 21 2004, 03:10 PM
and one in my side for the lungs, too .. now THOSE were not quite so wonderful .. although I'm sure they did the job well and everything! I just didn't have a great time with them. *shudder*
I know what you're talking about, Lucinda.. :(

I didn't have a PCA morphine pump! :nut: Oh oops, um... forgotten! :nutter:

lucinda
21st May 2004, 09:57 PM
Kayla -- do you mean you didn't have a PCA pump for your chiari surgery?! There's no way I could imagine not having one after my chiari surgery .. you poor thing!

Charlotte and Liv -- I'm glad you know what I'm talking about. Well I'm not glad that we all had to go through it, but you know. And Charlotte, draining tubes are the worst things ever, I agree! That has been the worst thing out of my ENTIRE hospital experiences .. I remember writing about it in some thread at slife .. they mucked it up multiple times with some clogging of the tube and had to replace it and and and

<insert memory block here>
<replace with chocolate goodness>

sins
21st May 2004, 10:06 PM
The good news is I think Blue Ice is having posterior surgery only and should escape the chest tube experience. Is that right? Pass some chocolate goodness my way please Lucinda........
Sins

BlueIce
21st May 2004, 10:57 PM
that's right sins, normally i should escape what seems horrible by just reading about it

jfkimberly
21st May 2004, 11:37 PM
Chest tube?! *frets* I watched them remove one on a documentary I was watching the other day, and it looked horrible. Does it hurt when they pull it out, or is it just a really weird feeling? The patient in the documentary looked like he was in pain, but he had a traumatic brain injury, so it's hard to know what his real emotions were. He would cry when he tried to talk.

floralgypsy
22nd May 2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by jfkimberly@May 21 2004, 10:37 PM
Does it hurt when they pull it out, or is it just a really weird feeling?
The problem is that you never 'feel' your insides under normal circumstances. When they pulled my drain out you could feel every little piece of flesh it moved along inside, and it wasn't so much that it hurt, more that it makes you feel incredibly sick. Another problem with chest drains is that they can't let air get into your chest cavity, so it is under suctioning. Not only are they pulling it out, they are sucking everything as they pull it out! Sorry for being so graphic, but it really was awful.

On a side note, when I had my chest surgery in December, the tube was only about 0.75cm in diameter. It didn't hurt nearly as much, but what surprised me was just how much of it there was! You would have thought for such a little area (yes little) that it would only be a few inches long. NO! It was three-quarters of a foot in length, wound around and around the wound! It felt as though it would never end as she pulled on it :(

lucinda
23rd May 2004, 05:02 AM
jfkimberley - charlotte described how it feels pretty accurately! although, the reason why i shudder at the thought of the draingage tubes is due to a particularly bad experience ... in one of my surgeries, somehow overnight my tube had clogged up, and ceased draining the, well, the 'gunk' and was just stuck at one place in the tube. in the morning, my nurse didn't notice that it was like that (!!) and it wasn't until my surgeon came in to check on me that people realised what was going on. i was asleep during the whole thing, until at that moment when my surgeon visited, and woke to them attempting to change it and replace it with another .. by having two thick tubes in the hole that previously had just the one at the same time! it was really quite painful, and the suction was just messy with 'gunk' well .. everywhere. i was crying "how much longer!!" and my surgeon was replying "just push that morphine button lu, just push the nice morphine button!" which is quite funny in retrospect but you know, wasn't at the time! the other times i had a drainage tube there were no problems, and like charlotte said, it was just a rather horrible feeling, and definitely minus the awful pain of the first one.

sins - would you believe it, i'm consuming m&ms currently as i type, just for you!!

blue ice - you know, i'm sure even if you did have to have a drainage tube, it wouldn't be all that bad .. i just had one yucky experience that kinda tarnished my view of them forever, and i'm really sorry for raining bad vibes about them on your thread!

charlotte - that comment about the length of your tube in your other operation, about how it felt like it would never end? the boy who i shared a room with for my second spinal surgery said something almost exactly similar about the length of his catheter! he really hated that thing .. :D

titch and jess - i don't think you're any element of a wuss; i've heard of other people not getting much relief from a pca either .. in fact, my grandmother didn't think hers worked at all when she had her hip replacement. it is a little odd to hear though, isn't it? especially after so many of us raving on about them!

there. that's everyone, right? gee, if i had made a separate post to each person that would be more than my average post count for one week! teehee. :P

Jonny
23rd May 2004, 02:59 PM
Oh dear... what's a catheter like for us, guys?

on second thoughts...
*toddles off to boys' forum*

Liv
23rd May 2004, 06:16 PM
You don't have to worry about the catheter, Jonny. That's very easy for men... It goes in and out in no time! ;-)

Chest tubes.. *shudders* I still have a nasty scar that will remind me of it for the rest of my life!

lucinda
23rd May 2004, 06:37 PM
jonny -- i'd like to point out that the boy was about six and liked to over exaggerate things very very much. it was just the way charlotte said it that reminded me of him saying something similar. i'm sure they're not that bad!

Pikey
24th May 2004, 09:44 PM
I had a catheter , they put it in whilst you are being operated on .It doesn't hurt and just feels slightly strange when they take it out .I had a drainage tube in my neck on my last operation , it was wrapped around my wind pipe . That wasn't pleasant having that removed .The PCA xan make you itchy , so if you start to feel itchy they can give you some drugs to take that feeling away .

Liv
25th May 2004, 10:13 AM
If you're having the posterior surgery, BlueIce, do you know if they're taking bone out of your hip?

By the way, I've taken a picture of my chest tube scar... I'll post it later!

And Lucinda (and all the others with chest tube experiences), how long did you have it stuck into your body? I had it for 10 f@*#ing days!

BlueIce
25th May 2004, 11:59 AM
i have no idea.. i saw the doctor in september, and a few months ago i had to go back for some tests and blood and stuff, but i didn't get to see the doctor...

Jonny
25th May 2004, 12:39 PM
Having an anterior release and posterior fusion I'm going to experience everything, chest tube and all, hehe. My fusion bone is from my rib from the anterior bit, kept in the fridge apparently, and I think they morselise bone from the facet joints too. Thanks Tim for reassurance...

BlueIce, if you ask any of the doctors that you may see at an appointment, they'll be able to run through every little detail for you, and I was grateful when Dr Mahmood at Stanmore did that for me despite him not being my consultant.

Liv
27th May 2004, 09:07 AM
In the fridge? Cool!!

I don't want to scare anyone but this is how the lower right side of my body looks like, now almost 5 years after the surgery...

http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Livke/DSCF0042.jpg

Jonny
27th May 2004, 12:23 PM
Haven't scared me but that's quite a chest tube scar, wow. When they take the thing out do they stitch it up?

ivanleg
27th May 2004, 01:57 PM
Nice hand.

Kayla
27th May 2004, 04:05 PM
wow those scars look really nice! I havnt looked at mine hmmm

Kaja
27th May 2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Liv@May 27 2004, 08:07 AM
In the fridge? Cool!!

Yeah, my doc said that to me. I removed a rib. "Your rib is in the freezer now, waiting for another pasient who needs it " ;-) :roll:

Your scars look great Liv :niceone: I think I'll post a pic of mine soon, the tube-scar is almost gone :P

Pikey
27th May 2004, 05:44 PM
Oh yeah , the hand .She doesn't bite her nails , nice flat tummy too ;-)

Kaja
27th May 2004, 06:14 PM
http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Cayah/arr.jpg

My scars. It's still quite red, 9 months post op, but healing well :-) Very well at the top actually :roll:
The tube-scar is almost gone, and under my bra anyways ;-) Two normal stitches on that one. The anterior scar had fecking 19 staples. Eek. There are white dots next to it :-D

Liv
27th May 2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by ivanleg@May 27 2004, 12:57 PM
Nice hand.
????????

Big hand with a nice tan, yeah! :-?

Liv
27th May 2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Jonny@May 27 2004, 11:23 AM
Haven't scared me but that's quite a chest tube scar, wow. When they take the thing out do they stitch it up?
Oh right, you haven't read my famous staples-story on Slife. It was in the girls room...

When the thoracic surgeon pulled the tube out, he shot 2 staples in it without any anaesthetics! After a week the wound got infected and it took about a month before it was a bit healed. That's why I've got such scar of it! :nut: But it's normally stitched I think.

They are healing nicely, Kaja! :niceone: Your chest tube scar is much higher than mine though! :spin:

Blair
27th May 2004, 09:51 PM
Boy... I think I'm glad I only had a posterior surgery. I think the location of that scar would drive me crazy. At least with posterior only, it's nice and recessed. (Read: Hidden in between rolls of fat... LOL)

Marti
28th May 2004, 04:00 AM
Mine wasn't stitched at all... I never actually saw it, but my mom almost fainted when she changed the dressing for the first time!

ivanleg
28th May 2004, 02:20 PM
Liv I meant you have a pretty hand. Seriously. Well Pikey and me seem to think so.
Kaja, red bra. Mmmmh. I prefer white, flesh-coloured or invisible. But don't pay any attention to me, I'm just an old fool.

Sorry I don't have any scar pics but all the ones here are really interesting so keep posting.

Kaja
28th May 2004, 02:22 PM
:hammer:

sins
28th May 2004, 04:30 PM
Now now Ivy !!.......Discussions pertaining to your preferred colour of lingerie are most definitely off topic. :evil: I will be asking Liv to take that perfectly manicured hand and apply it forcefully to the side of your left ear :thwack: Now beeehave............or else you'll be put cleaning out the loo in the blue room.

Carly
28th May 2004, 04:31 PM
ahhh you guys are all so brave!!

*runs around and gives every one a gold star for being so brave (and a pat on the back ;) )

ivanleg
28th May 2004, 04:42 PM
:mope: trudges off with bucket and mop

Kaja
28th May 2004, 05:11 PM
How fun! Go Sins, go!

Liv
30th May 2004, 08:52 PM
Thank you for the support, Sins! :clap:

mark
1st June 2004, 01:02 PM
Don't envy that job you got ivy it stinks in there

Jonny
1st June 2004, 04:35 PM
yeah, sorry :oops:

lucinda
7th June 2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Liv@May 25 2004, 08:13 AM
And Lucinda (and all the others with chest tube experiences), how long did you have it stuck into your body? I had it for 10 f@*#ing days!
Sorry, I only just saw this! The longest I had my chest tube in was eight days. Ten days is incredibly illegal, I have no idea how you kept it in there ...

Kaja
7th June 2004, 05:10 PM
I had it for 2 days :bump:

Vicki
7th June 2004, 05:54 PM
They didn't leave the chest drain in long enough when I was 5, so I had to go back to ward 1 (as the intensive care typey thingy was then known, no idea if it's still called that) and have it put in again, with just gas and air like women get when they give birth. I don't think I breathed much of it in either as I hated the smell.

I recall screaming the place down and absolutely terrifying the boy in the bed next to mine who had to have his taken out just after me...

floralgypsy
7th June 2004, 10:35 PM
Only three days for me, which I thought was far too long. I can't begin to understand how it must have felt to have the tube in for ten days, Liv. Makes me feel bad just thinking about it. :woe: