PDA

View Full Version : Lindy's cast

LindysMom
23rd July 2005, 04:28 AM
Hi there. Me again. Lindy's been in her cast for a little over a month now and the petaling tape that was put around the rough edges doesn't stay put. I find myself having to reaply every day and now I'm out of the tape. I can't find it anywhere but at the hospital where her surgery was done. (3 hours away from where we live)I'll get more next week when we go back for her cast change. This is my problem: she's started to develope ugly sores from her cast rubbing her raw in certain areas. I don't know how to treat or prevent this. I've resorted to stuffing hair dresser's cotton, which comes in a long coil, between her skin and the areas that are rough.That's been somewhat helpful. The medication that her pediatrician prescribed for me to rub on her doesn't seem to be helping. I guess because the cast is constantly rubbing on her. Hopefully the new cast will allow her some time to heal, but I'm sure I will eventually run out of the tape again and I'll be faced with the same situation all over again. Any ideas how I could prevent this from happening again? I have no idea what else I can do.
Holly

newgirl
23rd July 2005, 06:56 AM
Hi Holly,
Just a quick reply here, I found Weleda Calendula cream great for healing up red patches on Niamh's skin from her brace, I am not too sure if you can use it on broken skin but I remember reading on the CASTs group on Yahoo one of the mum's used it after a cast on her child's skin and it healed up really well. Thankfully we haven' t experienced too bad of a reaction yet but I suspect it is all ahead of us in August when Niamh is going back into a cast.
HTH
N

sins
23rd July 2005, 01:48 PM
Just mention it to them at the hospital.As one of the oldies who had casts after their surgery, the same thing happened to me in my first cast.They can cut a small window in the cast over the affected area.
I also like calendula cream, it's very soothing and will help healing.
hope it goes well for you.
Sins