PDA

View Full Version : Gym

Carly
24th May 2004, 12:32 AM
I finally had my gym orientation today (he cancelled 4 times) and I got a program set up for me. It looks really good and he made sure I wasnt hurting my back. On all the back and shoulder ones, i am starting at a really low weight. I didnt realize though how weak i am. My favorite part has got to be the cardio. Just run or bike and read maazines. I do that for a hour.
Any way back on topic... could this help my curve if I talk to him and my physio therapist and work on certain excercises or am I just doing some wishful thinking?
I also went to www.iscoliosis.com (great website) and got some excercises and yoga moves espicially for scoliosis. I am just going to give them a try. sorry bit of a ramble here.
over and out :-)

BlueIce
24th May 2004, 09:51 AM
looks like a nice website. I don't know if it will help your curve, but you can always try, i don't think it'll do any harm so i guess your safe. But don't expect too much too soon, that can be disappointing

Carly
24th May 2004, 06:16 PM
oh i wont....

Kaja
24th May 2004, 10:31 PM
It's a great site. I'm glad you found something, that doesn't hurt your back! :-) My mum wants me to talk with a physical therapist, so that I can learn how to work out properly without damaging my back. Woo!

sins
24th May 2004, 10:50 PM
My consultant told me last year that the best thing to do is join a gym.
Apart from building your fitness levels, it will strengthen your muscles. Bracing can make your back muscles a bit weaker so exercise is great for you. Physical therapy CAN be beneficial in scoliosis treatment.It can help strengthen your abdominal muscles if you do the pelvic tilt exercises like She devil Dee, as these are the muscles that support your Lumbar spine. PT can also help to keep your spine more flexible and will make surgical correction that bit easier if it should be needed.Most importantly, enjoy your gym time........it sounds wonderful.

jfkimberly
24th May 2004, 11:25 PM
I joined a gym last fall when I got home from my trip to New York that included the infamous New York Blackout Walking Tour (my sister and I had to walk about 15 miles to get from where I was in Manhattan to where I was staying in Brooklyn... mostly because the cops misdirected us and we walked about 5 miles out of our way and then had to walk back). I figured if I could do that, then I could go to the gym for an hour a day and walk. I went religiously for three weeks, then I moved to France and kind of forgot about my gym membership. But I had to walk to/from the Metro stations, so I still got more exercise there than I was getting at home before I joined the gym. Now I'm back home and my membership is expired, and I don't do anything at all. I can feel a difference in my energy level. I never believed people who suggested exercise could be good for me (given my extremely limited lung capacity), but it really does help. I think I might start up again.

When I did go to the gym, I would start by walking on a treadmill for 35 to 40 minutes (it had a digital display and I set the pace at 3.8mph, on average). Then I would go to the women's exercise room (there was a main room, and a separate room for women who didn't like to be stared at), and I would lift light free weights with my right arm because I have limited range of motion in my right shoulder, so I've historically used my left hand/arm to do everything except write, so my muscles are more developed on the left side which looks funny... so I was targeting my right arm to try to make it match. But there are still some directions I can't make my arm go, which means I can't exercise those muscules. But it's better than it was.

I don't do anything that would mess with my back or back muscles in any way.

Little~shedevil~dee
25th May 2004, 01:27 AM
i want to go to the gym but i got no one to come wiith me :(

jfkimberly
25th May 2004, 02:04 AM
Aww. When I started going last fall, my sister (the one who was in the Blackout with me) was already a regular gym-goer, so I went with her. It was nice to have her provide orientation for me.

Lieve
25th May 2004, 11:09 AM
When I restarted in a gym last fall a friend was enjoying me, only she wasn't going on regular base and after I think a month or soo she quitted. Now I have to go all by myself. Yes I'm still going :-D
And I have met some new friends there, so I'm not alone anymore
:niceone:

mark
25th May 2004, 01:07 PM
I am just about to give my membership up, what with moving house and the morgage tripling, yes tripling i have been told by my other half that the 45 a month it costs is one luxury too far. Mind you she softend the blow by allowing me to have broadband in our new house when we move and hopefully a new computer. My laptop has taken a battering lately and still is'nt fixed from the last time i dropped it destroying the internal modem.

Jonny
25th May 2004, 01:13 PM
Mark, take lots of pictures and send them to me and I'll see what I can advise (let's take this into tech help before anyone notices :oops: )

I bought a self-powered treadmill so there was something I could use to walk on after surgery without braving the elements. Haven't used it properly once yet.

mark
25th May 2004, 03:06 PM
Cheers Jonny i bought an external modem but havent got round to opening the box i hope all you need to do is plug it into usb port anything more technical thats me done for

Carly
25th May 2004, 03:12 PM
i go by myself, at first i hated it but i like it now. it gives you time just to think and relax

jfkimberly
25th May 2004, 09:39 PM
After my sister got me settled, I started dropping by the gym alone after work. I would listen to music on headphones while I exercised. I think most gyms have televisions scattered around so you can watch that if you're interested, but I prefer music.

Kayla
25th May 2004, 09:58 PM
I think the curve is to crooked for exercises to help it but they might help a bit Good Luck and glad you like gym!

Marti
26th May 2004, 02:33 AM
I hopeyou enjoy the gym. I really need to get more exercise... I don't get any at all. And I love the feeling you get from exercising. But I'm more content to just sit around at home...

Carly
26th May 2004, 06:11 AM
I just went and boy did some of the excercises feel weird. I think i am just going to wait till physio and ask him to go through them with me at their gym. That way he can assist me. I hope he will do that.

Jessica*
3rd June 2004, 09:59 AM
Sounds good to me. How often are you going? Hope it's not too strenuous on your back, but the guy sounds like he's doing things properly so it shouldn't be too bad. Hopefully there isn't a large dent in your parents pocket. It's always good to strenghten the back muscles...good for your general health and appearance :)

Jessica*
3rd June 2004, 10:02 AM
After reading that I realised how much it sounded like it was in dot-pointed form. That's what distractions do to you :P

Carly
3rd June 2004, 03:30 PM
i got 4-5 times a week. last night i took a class and it was alot of fun. i love going to the gym, it feels good when you are done...