tech is the sweetest person on the face of the earth, I can't say
enough about the staff at the hospital. Anyhoo.... she cuts out a
window underneath the armpit area and then decides to reinforce it
with more fibreglass. So now Deirdre's cast is so much bulkier than
it used to be and the cotton sundress she wore to the hospital
doesn't fit any more. :cry: I have a picture of her with the sundress that
I took a few weeks ago and she looks absolutely precious. NOW she
won't be able to wear it AND half the summer clothes she has because
they don't fit. She won't be able to wear these clothes next summer because you know how quickly these munchkins grow. So I guess I'll have some major shopping to do... *cries pathetically*

Sealy

tonibunny
25th June 2005, 08:17 PM
Oh, how annoying Sealy!!! I'm sorry to hear this. Sorry I can't say anything to cheer you up really, but I do sympathise! :hug:

BeckyH
25th June 2005, 08:35 PM
nightmare! and kids don't like shopping as much as toni and i do :D

did they figure out a reason for her pain? or was it just the cast?

jfkimberly
25th June 2005, 08:38 PM
Is Deirdre at least more comfortable now? I'm so sorry about the clothes. Like Toni, I don't think there's anything more I can say to make it better. If it weren't so expensive, perhaps the fun of shopping?

Sealy
25th June 2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys !

I know all you can do is sympathize... sometimes I just get so frustrated and I want to scream. Scoliosis sucks BIG time. That dress was one of my favourites :cry:

As some of you know, Deirdre has a left thoracic curve and the pain was on the right side. Apparently, the cast was rubbing against her scapula ( I think ) and causing friction. When the ortho tech opened up the cast we noticed that there was red swelling which would have got worse had I not taken her in. She also now has a window in the tummy area. So.... anyway more ventilation, which is good. We could have arranged for the cast change within the week, but she's been sick and we don't want to take risks with the anesthesia. Her doctor goes on vacation in a couple of weeks and won't be back until September.

I LOVE to shop... it's just my husband who's really tight with the wallet. Have any of you noticed this year has been particularly hot ?!!!

Sealy

BeckyH
25th June 2005, 09:33 PM
yes, this year has been particularly hot (we've had the driest winter in yonks over here)

where on earth is her doctor going until september - bloody waste of space he is!

though mine is in new zealand at the moment, no idea when he'll be back *rolls eyes* hopefully time to recover from jet lag before july 16th

Sealy
25th June 2005, 11:57 PM
Marmyte,

I have no idea where he's going, but I know it's somewhere fun. It's a yearly thing for him. Whenever he talks about his vacation or the prospect of going on vacation, his whole face lights up - he reminds me of a kid who's just been told that school is out for the summer. I don't begrudge him his time off - orthopaedic surgeons especially ones that hold professorships, lead very stressful lives. Every September when I see him (it's been three years now), he's in the BEST mood and has the BIGGEST smile on his face. I think it's great....

Your doctor will probably be in great shape to do the surgery when he gets back if he's on vacation. That's usually when they're fresh and alert. I'm sure it'll go really well :D Are you from New Zealand ? It's winter there huh ?

Sealy

BeckyH
26th June 2005, 04:59 PM
i'm british - he's not on vacation, he's being a doctor for the british lion's rugby team. why they need an orthopaedic surgeon i don't know *rolls eyes*

andrea
28th June 2005, 09:01 PM
That is so annoying!! I know how difficult it is to get clothes to fit and look nice. I always end up nearly in tears walking around the shops looking at all the strappy tops and cute clothes I know Erin will never wear. So frustrating when you find something you love and then it stops fitting. Perhaps she'll be able to wear it when she gets her brace?

The weather has been hot of late and the fans have been going all night. It's also been really thundery too though - very odd weather.

Don't talk to me about consultants - I can't wait for mine to get back from his year's sabbatical next February!!

Jonny
28th June 2005, 09:45 PM
I should imagine that while she won't fit the clothes she would if she didn't have a brace at all, she will be closer to her natural size.

Possibly the worst bit of my pre-op brace was that it extended up right into my armpit :( it cut the blood off to my arm when I played the violin, so I had to stop every couple of minutes when the violin had got heavier and heavier... that was a reason why those brace liners are good: they can have specially-designed axilla flaps to line your armpit from the brace.

newgirl
29th June 2005, 04:20 AM
Oh that is so frustrating Sealy, I hate it when Niamh grows out of things that I really like her in!!
Best of luck with the shopping!!
N