PDA

View Full Version : Rib hump.

Phil
23rd June 2005, 10:45 PM
As most of you know, my main concern is kyphosis of which is being operated on this year. However, over the last year my scoliosis has got worse. My ribs have been moving around and i now have a noticeable rib hump on my left side. This was not so noticeable when i see the consultant in Feb.

Anyway, recently, like over the past few weeks it has been painful to the touch. The skin is painful. Like its burning, i am finding it hard to sit on chairs etc.

Does anyone have any advice?

Also, i am not sure if its got worse, or if i am just noticing it more. Only things that have changed in my life are, i go to the gym a minimum of 4 times a week and i have lost about 4 stone in the last 6 months. My shoulders are no longer even so i am sure its getting worse but i am one to over think.

I must also say, the scoliosis pain is far worse than the kyphosis pain.

Amazed Jean
23rd June 2005, 11:20 PM
I have never been able to get rid of that burning sensation completely but it is much worse if I have been holding my self stiff during the day or vacuumning then the burn is so bad tears just roll down my face. I lay down on the floor on my wonky back and pull my knees up as close as I can to my chest. It takes some of the pressure off. I have a theory that when you have scoliosis a long time you start compensating by holding your head a certain way or your neck stiff or your shoulder back a bit etc, etc. It gets to be second nature and the pain is much less until at night when you let go and try to relax. Sometimes that relaxing kills me other times its just sore as hell. Its an unconscious thing to compensate for what hurts isn't it?

sins
23rd June 2005, 11:33 PM
yup, scoliosis in conjunction with kyphosis isn't that unusual.You probably notice it a lot more since the weight loss, which by the way is very impressive.
We all get that burning skin sensation from time to time, it's a case of ignoring it mainly, but with your surgery coming up it should remove most of the muscular aches and stuff.get some rub on antiinflammatory gel like oruvail from your pharmacy and try that.I find that quite good for that aching type of pain.
Sins

shortgirl
24th June 2005, 02:08 AM
Yeh my right ribs burn like heck sometimesm, I usually just stand up and walk around because it's usually caused from sitting for too long in certain positions. Or if the situation permits I lay down.

butterflylr
24th June 2005, 07:31 PM
Mine doesn't burn but it's more like a stabbing pain. It hurts like heck sometimes.

Jules
26th June 2005, 05:12 PM
I know I probably should know this from knowing I have had scoliosis fora few years and have gone through surgery, but what exactly do you all mean when you talk about your rib hump?

Sorry for asking such a probably simple question

Jonny
26th June 2005, 07:02 PM
A rib protrusion or rib hump is the bulge you get on one side of your back when the spine rotates, tilting the ribcage outwards on one side.

That's what often gets achey and stops you sitting comfortably and evenly.

titch
27th June 2005, 01:41 PM
Lumbar curves, and lower thoracolumbar curves typically don't give you that much of a rib hump. It also depends a lot on how much rotation you have, as it's possible to have very little of a hump even with a large curve, if it isn't that rotated.

Jules
27th June 2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks, is that what causes one side of the rib cage to protrude more than the other side on your front?

I'm relaly sorry for being so stupid about this and that I hae over taken this post!

tonibunny
27th June 2005, 05:09 PM
Rotation will make your ribcage look uneven at the front so it may appear that one side is protruding, but unless you have a massive degree of thoracic lordosis (where the spine curves forward), you wouldn't have a rib hump there.

shortgirl
6th July 2005, 02:22 AM
Funny enough.... I found this on the UW website where the guy who did my surgeries now works...here is an image of what causes severe rib "flairing out" like mine....sad stuff...

http://www.rad.washington.edu/staticpix/mskbook/RibHump.gif

Little Ali
5th November 2005, 10:55 PM
Hello!
Has anyone got any advice for me as to how to get rid of my burning sensations in my rib area? As Julie said, it can be due to sitting for too long but I'm in a wheelchair and don't have much choice! I've tried swimming and that doesn't help!

I was in sooooo much pain last week I nearly cried at work.

Pleeeeeeeease help!!
Thanks! :niceone:

tonibunny
5th November 2005, 11:12 PM
Does having a pillow at your back help at all Ali? I'm really sorry to hear this :( My rib hump used to kill so I know how much it can hurt - I had to have a pillow against the back of my chair at work, to take the pressure off the apex of the hump.

mark
6th November 2005, 01:43 AM
I have the same feeling Ali, and my back is really tender in one spot i have been concerned about it for a while as it seems to be affecting chest as well

I suffer from areally painful burning sensation half way up my back

Mark

Phil
6th November 2005, 09:35 AM
I also know where you're coming from Ali. Its terrible because its there and frustrating as hell. Toni's suggeston with the pillow is my only thought too. Hope you can figure it out and sorry i cannot offer more help.

Amazed Jean
7th November 2005, 04:22 AM
Rib pain and that burn thing are two of my least favorite things to deal with. I hope that someone can come up with a magic solution. I don't think anyone that isn't experiencing scoliosis can know exactly how frustrating it is to hurt like this. So its probably up to one of us to figure it out. My age isn't helping so one of our nice strong youngsters fix it Please.

jfkimberly
7th November 2005, 05:10 AM
I'm counting on Jonny or Liv to get us all sorted.

DublinPauline
7th November 2005, 10:46 AM
I try to avoid activities that require overuse of my right convex side, because this causes flareups. This can be tricky because I'm right-handed. Jean, one thing I avoid like the plague is using a vacuum cleaner because it doesn't feel at all right and I TRY to avoid carrying heavy bags, etc.
Phil, it is important when you are lifting weights to let the instructor know that you have scoliosis. Not all will know anything about it but an interested instructor in a gym a good few years ago had me lifting slightly heavier weights for my concave/non-ribhump side to try to develop strenth on that part of my body.

zerodegrees
7th November 2005, 12:18 PM
amazing - that burn thing! I thought I was the only one! How strange that it would appear to be a "signature" pain of our condition!

ivanleg
7th November 2005, 02:37 PM
All I know is the burning sensation is nothing compared to the pain when you try to lay on your back on a hard surface! I can't with my hump, thank God beds are soft.

mark
7th November 2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by zerodegrees@Nov 7 2005, 11:18 AM
amazing - that burn thing! I thought I was the only one! How strange that it would appear to be a "signature" pain of our condition!
Me too John i thought i was the only one and it was really starting to bother me

*must go google and see what i come up with*

Amazed Jean
8th November 2005, 04:20 AM
Laying on a flat surface - whenever I have a doctor or radiographer etc. say "Just layflat on your back" I start laughing. You want me to do what? I can tolerate laying what works as flat on my back and lovely hump momentarily and then I'm moving so I always tell them they have about 5 seconds. I can lay back side down on the floor if I can pull my knees up to my chest for a few minutes. Oddly enough because of the way all my "stuff" has twisted and turned I cannot sit upright with my legs straight out in front of me. Its just not possible. Evenly more odd I can sit up if I fold my legs into lotus position. I also often releive some standing pain by standing like a flamingo. I have no idea why. That burn thing is just so undescribable to anyone else. I loathe it!

titch
8th November 2005, 09:29 AM
Wow! I'm pretty similar - I can sit up with my legs in front of me, but to this day I tend to be more comfortable sat either lotus style, or at least with my legs up like that but crossed underneath instead of on top - makes it *so* much easier to sit upright! The flamingo stand is something I do as well - it just takes the pressure off somehow, and certainly reduces the dragging leg pains.

Of course, although I have been remarkably well corrected, all things considered, I still have lumbar hypolordosis, low thoracic kyphosis and upper thoracic hypokyphosis - I'd need a revision of the revision to be fully brought back to balance, and even if they wanted to do it there's no way as it stands that I'd let them anywhere near me.

Does anyone else get crawling muscles in the leg? Bit like a tic but slower and feeling a bit more like a shudder of disgust in terms of actual sensation. Not really too sure how to describe it. Drives me bonkers, because there's just no way at all that I can tune it out.

jfkimberly
8th November 2005, 11:12 AM
That sounds pretty descriptive to me, Titch. No, I don't think I have that sensation. But my legs to tend to "fall asleep" when I'm sitting for a while. It's a circulation problem, as I'm with you and Jean on seated position... I tend to cross my legs lotus style. It's the only way I can sit "upright", though even that isn't exactly straight as I tend to lean forward. Sometimes I feel like my spine is folding up on itself. I'm almost positive the lumbar lordosis is getting more pronounced, but the surgeons I consulted last year won't do anything until/unless it's causing nerve damage. Who cares how I look, right? Gah.

Phil
8th November 2005, 11:29 AM
Likewise with the lotus position with legs crossed. My back feels more supported like that. Strange hey!

titch
8th November 2005, 11:58 AM
Hmm - wonder how those without significant sagittal imbalance feel. Could be one of those things that's specific to a subset, ie us.

Amazed Jean
8th November 2005, 06:31 PM
I have mentioned all these little things to doctors and they usually say, "Hmm Never heard that..." Makes me feel confident in their schooling or do you suppose that there really hasn't been that much in depth research about scoliosis. I know there is genetic research and straighten the spine stuff but what about all the darling little tics etc.? While we are at little tics Has anyone ever had your tail bone and surrounding butt tissue just suddenly ache like hell? Its a cramping kind of thing but when it begins it is almost a stunning pain. I feel like I can't or shouldn't walk . sit, lie down, or even move. Weird huh? No warning and it happens maybe once or twice in 6 months time with no trigger that is constant.

mark
8th November 2005, 08:18 PM
I alsi have pain at the bottom of spine right above my bum but its no where near as bad as yours Jean. It usually comes on after i've been playing football or a night on the dance floor.

sins
8th November 2005, 09:09 PM
Does anyone else get crawling muscles in the leg? Bit like a tic but slower and feeling a bit more like a shudder of disgust in terms of actual sensation. Not really too sure how to describe it. Drives me bonkers, because there's just no way at all that I can tune it out.

yup, left leg above the knee, I get it all the time and I have an involuntary muscle flutter in my upper left abdomen and my muscles in my butt have an involuntary twitch.Happens several times a day. Am I bothered? Nah!

Phil
9th November 2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by titch@Nov 8 2005, 10:58 AM
significant sagittal imbalance
Any chance of explaining sagittal imbalance?

mark
9th November 2005, 01:20 PM
sagittal imbalance (http://www.spineuniverse.com/rtbarticle.php/article308.html)

hope this can answer your question phil

link doesnt seem to be working

heres where i found it

www.spineuniverse.com/rtbarticle.php/article308.html

its working now i had one too many backslashes sorry

mark

titch
9th November 2005, 01:26 PM
Scoliosis can either be balanced, so that your head remains where it should, with your head and sacrum in line with each other, or you can end up keeled off somewhat to one side - being keeled off to the side is coronal imbalance.

Sagittal imbalance is when your spine is not in good balance as viewed from the side. A significant hyper- or hypo- kyphosis or lordosis will tend to result in your head not being quite where it should be as viewed from the side. If you take an xray from the side, and drop a plumb line from the front of C7 down to the sacrum, that line should touch the front of the top of the sacrum (S1). If it is forward of this line, then you have positive sagittal balance, if it's behind it you have negative sagittal balance.

gerbo
11th November 2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Pauline@Nov 7 2005, 09:46 AM
I try to avoid activities that require overuse of my right convex side, because this causes flareups.

Phil, it is important when you are lifting weights to let the instructor know that you have scoliosis. Not all will know anything about it but an interested instructor in a gym a good few years ago had me lifting slightly heavier weights for my concave/non-ribhump side to try to develop strenth on that part of my body.
In this context you might want to look at the article, which you find in downloads, on torsorotation exercises as a way to address the muscle assymetry between concave and convex side of the curve. This exercise allows you to pay more attention to the concave side. In Laura's case we are giving the concave side twice as much exposure as the convex side.

Do others find as well that the muscle bundle on the convex side is so much thicker as the one on the concave (=hollow) side of the curve??

sins
11th November 2005, 03:30 PM
Yes Gerbo, most definitely. I have far less muscle on my entire left side of body than on my right.That also applies to arms and legs.
Sins

jfkimberly
11th November 2005, 11:31 PM
Same for me. However, my syndrome has caused reduced ROM in my right shoulder, so I simply don't use it as much for reaching. So that's probably why I have less muscle development there.