PDA

View Full Version : Good progress

ctyadm
22nd June 2005, 03:19 AM
Hello everyone. 3 months ago I posted about my 5 year old son's latest appointment. His top curve had progressed from 29 to 37 degrees in 3 months. He was then fitted for a Milwaukee brace.
He had an appointment on June 17th, and his top curve had been reduced to 32 degrees! His bottom curve stayed at 20 degrees, and I suspect his hips might keep us from tightening the brace sufficiently.
Great news for now, and hopefully we can keep the curve maintained in the 30's and avoid the surgery we have discussed.
Thank you all for your support - your input has been extremely valuable!

sins
22nd June 2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks for updating us.How is he coping with the milwaulkee?
It's good that the curve is being controlled and hopefully things will continue to go as well for you.
Sins

Thaleias spirit
22nd June 2005, 10:34 AM
Hi Chris,

I must say I was shocked that curve orginally increased by 8 degrees in 3 months. On reading your update however, it looks like the brace is really making a difference. In the 3 months since then its reduced it by 5 degrees !! :D

It will be great if it the brace can maintain the curve at that point, if not reduce it back to its original size. And yes even better if surgery can be avoided !!

How has your son been finding the brace?

Best of luck with it all, keep us posted on the progress!!

chele

ctyadm
22nd June 2005, 09:21 PM
He has coped very, very well with the brace.
Since the day he got it, he hasn't complained a bit. He does everything he did before, participated in soccer, and has been just fine. He's had some mild skin issues, but nothing that's required any significant attention.
The brace has 3 straps. We've been able to tighten the top straps regularly, which probably corresponds to the straightening of the curve. I think we might be able to monitor his situation by where those straps end up.
He still has issues with his pants falling down, and we've shopped for suspenders to wear under his top shirt.
I don't know if there's any "typical" pattern for his progress, but I'd really like to keep the curve under 40 degrees.
Thanks for your encouragement.

andrea
22nd June 2005, 09:41 PM
That's great news that he's coping so well in the brace and that it's having the desired effect. My daughter is about to go into a brace, just for a short while, and it's reassuring to see that they can work as well as a cast in holding the curve.