PDA

View Full Version : Any problems with a brace itching?

Bamaro
19th May 2005, 10:00 PM
My daughter has been wearing her brace for about 3 weeks now and complains that it really itches. Is this normal at first? Do you get used to it?

Lizzie89
19th May 2005, 10:06 PM
firstly i dont know if its normal but my brace used to really ich at the side were one of the pads are. I think it might be were it rubs. makes u sweat and then ur sweat irritates ur skin. After a while it stopped iching so much. U just need to wait it out im afraid :D

GD luck n stay strong hunniz

xxx

andrea
19th May 2005, 11:45 PM
Hi there. I don't know if it's normal in a brace, but my daughter really suffers with itching in her cast. She's forever dancing around trying to itch a spot that we can't reach. I imagine it's quite possible that the brace is the same.

Hope it improves. Sorry, I don't really have any advice.

Andrea

Jonny
20th May 2005, 12:15 AM
Hiya - sorry, it's likely to itch :-( if it's a pre-op brace and the itching drives your daughter mad, then it'll be OK to loosen it for ten seconds, just enough to snake a hand inside it and sort out the itch.

If it's irritation from sweat, and even if it's not, then this WILL help:

Originally posted by me on another thread
If wearing t-shirts and vests under it isn't comfortable and you find they get damp from sweat, Knit-Rite Torso Interfaces (http://www.knitrite.com/display.php?t=9) are special liners meant for braces. They're wonderful (I'm wearing one under a post-op brace right now) and protect your skin, don't have seams or creases so don't dig in, and 'wick' the sweat away, keeping you drier and more comfortable.

They're quite dear but worth it.

tonibunny
20th May 2005, 12:16 AM
Hi Bamaro,

Braces can be itchy at first as it's hard for air to get to the skin as it usually would, so perspiration does not evaporate as easily. Talcum powder can help enormously here! Also, make sure that she's wearing a soft, smooth, seamless t-shirt or brace-liner under the brace - the pile of certain fabrics can get really itchy if they drag the skin beneath the brace.

Hope this helps! Maybe other people here have more tips - it's been years since I wore a brace! :D

Toni xx

Jonny
20th May 2005, 12:21 AM
Oh - for those in the UK, Knit-Rite Torso Interfaces (http://www.knitrite.com/display.php?t=9) are imported by

Gilbert and Mellish (http://www.gilbert-mellish.co.uk/products/Distribution/d_p/d_p17.shtml)
in Birmingham.

They really are very good!

jamiebug44
20th May 2005, 05:53 AM
yes i have iching a lot

shortgirl
23rd May 2005, 05:38 AM
I used to itch like craazy when I had my braces in grade school. I would beg my mom to let me out for a sec so I could itch alot. I wore those tshirts under my brace too they help somewhat I guess. I never tried NOT wearing them.

DublinPauline
23rd May 2005, 10:42 AM
Ooh, sounds familiar from when I wore plasters 26 years ago or so. I seem to remember knitting needles being very useful for trying to reach itchy spots. :woe:

jfkimberly
23rd May 2005, 05:28 PM
I'm so glad I don't remember my casting days. I'm sure I must have itched, but I was too young to remember any of it.

Amazed Jean
24th May 2005, 05:57 AM
I was never braced or casted but I know someone talked to me about taking a blow dryer on a cooler setting and pointing it down inside a cast to take the edge off itching. Can't hurt. Might help!

tonibunny
24th May 2005, 11:32 AM
That's a really good idea Jean. Casts can get really hot and uncomfortable, especially in the summer. I used to do the knitting needle thing too - I wish I'd thought of using a cool hairdryer!! Itchiness is probably the worst thing about casts, really.

Lizzie89
25th May 2005, 09:03 PM
i use chop-sticks (clean ofcourse) to reach iches, if ur going to use talc make sure ur skin is dry before u put it on because it can cause irritation if u end up with little puddles of damp talc, i know that from experience lol. Good luck with ur brace they really help so keep it up...

luv :kiss: and strength :rox:

Jules
25th May 2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Pauline@May 23 2005, 08:42 AM
Ooh, sounds familiar from when I wore plasters 26 years ago or so. I seem to remember knitting needles being very useful for trying to reach itchy spots. :woe:
A friend who had scoliosis was telling my mum before I had surgery about how she used to itch up her plaster cast after her surgery many years ago! It must be a common tool!lol!

Sealy
25th May 2005, 10:19 PM
On the subject of casts - not really applicable for braces since they can be removed - air pumps are EXCELLENT way to blow COLD air into a cast. They cost less than $20.00 at your local Walmart. In the summer time when Deirdre's cast gets a little sticky from outdoor fun, the air pump works wonders. :-D

Sealy

andrea
25th May 2005, 10:20 PM
Erin complains on a daily basis of being itchy, although I have to admit that I haven't resorted to chopsticks yet. I feel she's too young and her skin isn't strong enough for it to cope with being prodded. She's forever got her hand down her tummy hole having a good scratch, but then she makes it bleed and the stocking then sticks to her skin (sorry if anyone's eating). Perhaps when she's older I can resort to the sticks (although as far as I remember they are strictly forbidden by the nurses)!

andrea
25th May 2005, 10:22 PM
That's a great idea - thanks Celia. Perhaps a bicycle pump would be equally as effective :D

Sealy
25th May 2005, 10:53 PM
Andrea,

I've never tried a bicycle pump, it might work. The pump we have is an air mattress pump/water flotation device pump which we take along with us when we go camping. It works really well.:-D

Sealy

tonibunny
25th May 2005, 10:58 PM
Sealy, what a brilliant idea, I wish I'd thought of that years ago!!! :D

healthinjoy
27th October 2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Pauline@May 23 2005, 08:42 AM
Knitting needles for me too. In the orthopedic hospital knitting needles wee banned... BUT... my grandmother came and gave me knitting lessons... so I was legitimate. And I DID use them. Real handy to get some of the "cotton" out of the plaster cast to loosen it up a bit. :-)

nuttynatalie
27th October 2005, 04:19 PM
When i wore my brace from feb to august this year i used to find it really itchy thoughout the time i was in it, and i found that loosening it for a while helps but then you put it back on and it comes back. Then it got quite bad when i couldnt really have it off much and when it was quite hot i used to use a ruler or something sharpe to try and itch it away, or there was another thing that work, we have this air conditioning machine which was on a lot over the summer and i found that if i sat next to it for a while the itch went away, it was a good cooling off method too!