PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam and muscle tightness

bluestone
29th November 2011, 01:24 PM
I went to see the dr last night because this tightness in my back is driving me crazy.
Everything I do makes me feel like ive got a vice gripping around my back and it just doesnt seem to be improving.:(

Unfortunately I couldnt see my usual GP so this dr knew nothing about my back and pain etc.He just kept looking through his book of drug info and didnt seem to know what to suggest.In the end I asked about Diazepam because I know it helps with muscles spasm-so thats what he prescribed-the dose is 2mg three times a day when needed.

Im a bit confused through because he said I shouldnt take it with Dihydrocodeine and im sure I did when I took it after my surgery? Also I dont really want to take it 3 times a day because I know it can be addictive so is just the odd one when I need it going to help much?

Round The Twist
29th November 2011, 01:58 PM
Whenever I have been prescribed Diazepam for muscle spasms they have said take 2mg 3 times a day, I never have and just take one as needed.
I do take them with Codiene and they can make you pretty sleepy so make sure you haven't got to drive anywhere the first few times you take them, just in case, they *should* help, I really hope they do work for you, they are no 'miracle' drug but they should relax things a bit so you should, hopefully, get some relief :fingersx:

wildcats56
29th November 2011, 02:41 PM
Hi Sarah these Gp's are pretty hopeless, I really hope they help your pain, Ive used them after I had a car crash and trapped a nerve in my neck and they helped but they were 10mg ones. Hope you get some relief soon Sue x

ALZO24
29th November 2011, 03:48 PM
I went to see the dr last night because this tightness in my back is driving me crazy.
Everything I do makes me feel like ive got a vice gripping around my back and it just doesnt seem to be improving.:(

Unfortunately I couldnt see my usual GP so this dr knew nothing about my back and pain etc.He just kept looking through his book of drug info and didnt seem to know what to suggest.In the end I asked about Diazepam because I know it helps with muscles spasm-so thats what he prescribed-the dose is 2mg three times a day when needed.

Im a bit confused through because he said I shouldnt take it with Dihydrocodeine and im sure I did when I took it after my surgery? Also I dont really want to take it 3 times a day because I know it can be addictive so is just the odd one when I need it going to help much?

2mg are very low dose I was taking 20mg a night which really helped the twitches ,spasms and helped me slepp , after a couple of weeks the gp said I couldnt have anymore and now I'm back to square one , I think the gp was scared of addiction from me as he wouldn't give me anything else !

amaterasu
29th November 2011, 04:17 PM
2mg is quite a homeopathic dose! I'd prescribe a minimum of 5mg 3 times a day for back muscle spasms. However, if you find the 2mg to be effective, then do take that. You can always try taking two of the tablets if it's not effective enough.

I wouldn't be too hard on the GP you saw, he was probably very new and not familiar with your history, and needed to look in the BNF to check what would be best.

The only reason not to take it with dihydrocodeine is because both will make you drowsy. This isn't a problem if you're just staying at home all day. Just don't drive or operate machinery or make any important decisions.

You can indeed take the odd one only when you feel you need it of course, but taking it at 8-hour intervals would give the muscles more time to relax and you won't have to wait for the tightness. I wouldn't worry about addiction: you may grow tolerant to the effects, but you're not going to become addicted to it unless you just start taking it for fun when you aren't having spasms/pain.

bluestone
29th November 2011, 04:31 PM
Thank you Jojo.:)

I took 2mg today and cant say it helped so maybe its not going to be enough.I was given 2mg doses when I came out of hospital but I was taking it 3 times a day.

I wanted the diazepam so I could feel better when im out also but if I cant take my Dihydrocodeine with it im worried that I will be in more pain.Should I try 1000mg Paracetamol to replace it?

Round The Twist
29th November 2011, 04:34 PM
I agree that it is a low dose, but if someone is not used to taking them 5mg will knock someone sideways first time they take them, I only take 2mg when needed, I took 3 x so 6mg before a particularly scary dental appointment not long ago and was completely spaced out.
I think 2mg 3 times a day is more than adequate to begin with...:)

Sarah, did the Gp actually say 'do not take these with the Dihydrocodeine'?
Maybe you could ask the Pharmacist and see what he/she says, if the Doctor was new maybe he was being over cautious, the Pharmacist will know more contraindications usually.

bluestone
29th November 2011, 04:51 PM
He told me not to take them with dihydrocodeine just as I was going to the door.I was definately given them together when I was sent home from hospital.

I think he could be being cautious but I will ask the pharmasist as I think sometimes they are the best ones to ask when it comes to things like that.

Mustang Sal
29th November 2011, 04:58 PM
I've had diazepam at the same time as morphine, so pretty sure they can be taken with DHC. Like the others have said, taking diazepam with an opiate just increases drowsiness, though I only found this to be the case when I first started it. Yes 2mg is a low dose, but it's better to start small and build up than go straight for a big dose and end up sleeping til next week :p

Have you had any type of massage done Sarah? My mum sees a private physio (who also does a number of other therapies) and while she doesn't have a fused spine, she has quite bad problems with her posture and upper back muscles, possibly because of all the years she carried around large breasts (now surgically reduced). It was so bad when she laid on the floor, her shoulders wouldn't touch the ground and she couldn't raise her arms above her head. The physio said she has a lot of fibrous tissue formation because of the imbalance in muscle use (or something like that). Anyway, just two sessions with this guy doing sports/remedial massage, her shoulders go back where they should, she can lift her arms properly, her posture has improved a lot and she's in less pain with it all :)

Just thought i'd mention this as it might be worth considering if nothing else has worked.

bluestone
29th November 2011, 05:14 PM
I really dont think I could tolerate massage at the moment Sal, if certain areas are touched I feel like ive been hit with a taser gun and the area around those screws just feels ugh.:(

The physio said its something we could try in the furure after ive had another course of hydro and maybe some accupuncture.

amaterasu
29th November 2011, 05:21 PM
I can 100% guarantee you are safe to take diazepam and dihydrocodeine (and for that matter, any opioid) together. I've looked it up in the BNF just to be sure, and the only thing that might happen is that you would feel more drowsy. You've taken them before together too, so you know what to expect. Trust me, I'm a (junior) doctor and my boyfriend's a senior pharmacist!

This is useful for everyone: Register on www.bnf.org (it takes 20 seconds, you don't need to be a healthcare professional to register) and you can look up information on any drug prescribed in the UK, all side effects, all known interactions, and it's also quite interesting to see just how much each drug costs the NHS! It's a bit more difficult to navigate than the book version but it's worth a browse.

Start on the 2mg and see how you feel, but I do think you'll need a higher dose to feel any real benefit.

amaterasu
29th November 2011, 05:24 PM
Oh and to answer your question, 1g paracetamol wouldn't be as effective as dihydrocodeine but it would provide some relief :)

Mustang Sal
29th November 2011, 06:35 PM
I registered with the BNF a while back so can second what Jo just said - it's the best source of info on medications there is, and it's not all in 'doctor speak' - if I can follow it, anyone can :)

GillyG
29th November 2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the BNF link Jo :)

tiffany.m
29th November 2011, 09:20 PM
Best of luck Sarah!