PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion

Round The Twist
25th November 2011, 11:43 PM
Hi,
This is just an idea, don't know if its workable or not, but some forums have an option to 'thank' people for their posts, a bit like the 'like' option on Facebook, sometimes I read a post and I don't really know how to respond, but would still like to acknowledge the person and their answer, is there/could there be such an option on this board?
There could well be downsides to this I haven't thought of btw :)

titch
26th November 2011, 08:01 AM
It's certainly possible, I think the reason we shied away before was worries about it possibly making the site feel a bit like a popularity contest especially to new members, but don't quote me on that :p It's definitely easy enough to do, there was originally just a mod to do it, but there may well be functionality built in to new versions of the forum software so I can definitely investigate it.

What do others think? Actually, I might post that on the main board as well, so that more people will see it :) If anyone unregistered, and uncertain about joining up is reading this, please comment here - you don't have to be registered to comment in this forum, and it would be interesting to know if it would make you more or less likely to register, and if you have any feelings on the matter - you can post here without us ever knowing who you were if you do then sign up :)

bluestone
26th November 2011, 01:50 PM
Im a member of a guinea pig forum and they have a 'thank you' option which seems to work well as people can 'thank' if there was some good advice given.

GillyG
26th November 2011, 04:31 PM
I think a 'thanks' button would be good but I'm not too keen on the notion of the 'rate this thread' options as I think they can become a bit elitist.

Mustang Sal
26th November 2011, 07:05 PM
Funny you should say that Liz as i've thought the same thing at time - you want to let the poster know that you've read their post, but don't necessarily have anything to say, or loads of other people have already said what you'd say, if you see what I mean.
So yes, I would be in favour of a 'thanks' option, but like Gilly, wouldn't want threads to be 'rated'.

Round The Twist
26th November 2011, 07:17 PM
Ok, see, that's one of the downsides I was talking about, I agree with everyone else, it would be nice just to be able to thank people for good advice or if you agree with what they have posted but I wouldn't want posts being rated either.

tiffany.m
27th November 2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah just some way to let them know they're acknowledged

SS2_Dave
27th November 2011, 08:16 PM
I've seen this on other forums and it tends to cause rivalry and jealousy over those who are getting more positive rep than some but I think sso is different with many like minded people so really don't see a problem with it here :) if needs be maybe remove the option to give negative reputation so as to squash any argument before it gets started.

Mustang Sal
29th November 2011, 07:45 PM
I know what you mean Dave - i've seen it cause problems on other forums, but none of them have ever been as 'close knit' as we are and tend to be full of people who spend most of their time on the forum winding people up and itching for a fight. I think most of us see and treat one another here as friends and are respectful of one another rather than use the forum as a popularity contest, or a 'i'm better/worse off/more knowledgeable than you' type of thing. Obviously something like this would need to be monitored at first to make sure it's not unsettling anyone, but I personally think it would work well :)

Round The Twist
30th November 2011, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't want to see it put in if there was an option to put negative feedback, we already have the triangle to report an offensive post, I was thinking more along the lines of a 'thankyou' option rather than positve or negative feedback, but I don't know what the options are :)

titch
30th November 2011, 09:48 AM
Ok, so broadly speaking we're not keen on thread rating / reputation giving, but a thank you button or similar would be good?

I know there's a couple of mods out there to do thank you, and it's possible that version 4 of the forums has this built in, so I'll take a look :)

(ps - if there is anyone who hasn't registered yet, or who is but wants to comment on this anonymously, you don't have to be logged in to post in this forum, so speak up! :))

Mustang Sal
1st December 2011, 05:32 PM
Ok, so broadly speaking we're not keen on thread rating / reputation giving, but a thank you button or similar would be good?

I think that just about sums it up Titch :)

bara
1st December 2011, 05:43 PM
:ythat:

;)

B

GillyG
1st December 2011, 07:42 PM
:agreed:

Amberina
1st December 2011, 10:26 PM
Yep, I think that's a good idea. A thank you wouldn't necessarily cause competition - after all, it's just a polite reply without the reply? :D

tiffany.m
5th December 2011, 11:24 PM
Even if it's not thanks and it's more sort of 'I've acknowledged your reply, but can't reply to it' sort of button xD

Round The Twist
6th December 2011, 10:21 AM

Yep, if poss :)

lyssie
2nd January 2012, 10:18 AM
I quite honestly thing that this isn't a great idea :(

No matter how 'close-nit' we as a website community are, I quite frankly think that some people will get more thank you's than others, no matter how much you want to phrase it differently to a like button. Call it the paranoia in me, and that's probably all it is - but could make people feel uncomfortable and cause friction (which I don't think I've witnessed happen here on SSO, or at least remember so sorry if there has been and I've not remembered).

I guess I am just the odd one who doesn't like this, so I can put up with it when it happens but thought I would make my opinion known :)