PDA

View Full Version : Can't register

Unregistered
24th November 2011, 04:09 AM
Hey guys, I try to register but it says "Registration failed. This site has a no spammer policy" yadda yadda.

I tried entering my 2 different email adresses I use, answered captcha and the question correctly and it still doesn't work :(

GillyG
24th November 2011, 10:29 AM
Could you let us know the Username you tried to register with and we can chase it up for you. The spam checker is a bit over strict at times! :p

titch
24th November 2011, 02:29 PM
Yes, if you use the password requests forum above this one to post the username you want, a word you'd like us to use for a temporary password (or your d.o.b. if you prefer), and the email address to contact you on, we'll get it sorted. Unfortunately, if an email address has been reported *anywhere* for spam within the last several months (and I don't mean you've spammed anywhere, just that there are email harvesters out there which use email real email addresses to try to get past spam filters, which then means when the owner uses it to register somewhere else, they get caught out) then the system will not allow registration :(

The trouble is, we were totally drowning in spam before we got more draconian about it, with several hundred false accounts a day being created and posting nonsense all over the boards :(

Unregistered
24th November 2011, 07:22 PM
I used the password reset forums to request a username, it's surprising that the nospam caught my email because I own the domain to it and it was never used for spam >_>

Eitherway, youll see my info there. I tried registering as Apollo.

Unregistered
2nd December 2011, 08:01 PM
My daughter who has scoliosis has tried to register on this site and we have emailed through the site to ask why she is not allowed and received no replies yet. We are genuine. She is only 17 facing rod surgery in 6 weeks time and desperate for support

madmclw
2nd December 2011, 10:45 PM
Hi there, if you could do the same as titch has suggested above and post in the 'password requests forum' the username you tried to register with, a temporary password (which you can change once you're sorted) and an email address to contact you on, one of the admins can get it sorted for you asap. It's a fully moderated forum so only staff can see what you post there so there's no need to worry about just anyone getting hold of a password or email address if you post there.

We're very sorry about the trouble, but unfortunately there's no easy solution to catching spammers and at the moment the system in place is the best we have, it just means that sometimes genuine people get caught out where they shouldn't :(

Anyway, if you do that, you should be sorted asap :)

Unregistered
3rd December 2011, 10:03 AM
Thank you for your reply! I can't remember what user name I tried to register with as I have been waiting for ages for someone to reply to the messages I sent through the contact us section asking for help.
I think I should try registering again and hope that works.

madmclw
3rd December 2011, 11:34 AM
Sure, no problem! If it doesn't work, do as I suggested above and we'll try to get you posting asap :) Hope you have more success this time, and we're very sorry for the trouble!

titch
3rd December 2011, 11:36 AM
As Maddy has said, if you have any further problems, post in the forum above with the username you want, and we'll get it sorted out for you :) Unfortunately the system does seem to catch out some genuine people, but the trouble is that without it, we'd quite literally not have a forum because the number of spammers is so extreme :(

moneyblind
4th December 2011, 05:19 PM
Titch, have you thought about enabling captcha and challenge questions? They are very effective at preventing 95% of spammers as those spammers are automated, still, some spammers get through, but i really believe that the community would grow at a faster rate with this in place rather than the current system. Just a suggestion!

titch
4th December 2011, 10:18 PM
That's exactly what we had, and email verification of course, and suddenly hit a point at the start of this year where we had tens to hundreds of false sign ups per day, so we're now running one of the systems that tracks all reported spam member names, email addresses and IP addresses, because quite simply we couldn't cope with the sheer volume of stuff coming through. The trouble is, it's rather draconian and does catch out people who are genuine, but I don't know of a viable alternative.

I'll have a look at what mods there are out there now and see if there are others which may be a bit more sensitive, or if you know of any that are recommended, then do suggest them of course :)

ETA: I've just fired up a different browser to check, and we do have reCaptcha and challenge questions enabled still - I've been half tempted to turn them off, because we're actually relying on the anti-spam mod rather than these. They were absolutely fine and prevented, as you say, the vast majority right up until new year. I'm not sure what happened at that point, but I do know that we weren't the only forum who suddenly nearly drowned in spam sign ups, and had heard at the time that reCaptcha had been cracked. The questions should still have posed a problem to bots, but these days you can just post a request on Mechanical Turk or similar, and pay someone a few cents to go through sign up attempts until they have answers to all the questions :(