PDA

View Full Version : Got some new pics....

Blair
15th May 2004, 05:34 PM
Hey everybody... I just got some pics of my back from approximately 3 months post-op....
My curve settled a bit from immediately following my surgery, I think, since my shoulders are just a bit less even than immediately after my surgery. And my lower back is still a bit off, but it still looks pretty fabulous in my opinion.... Please pardon the fat roll. I'm still struggling to get down to an appropriate weight.

Also have a couple of pics of me with my mom and sis on my 21st birthday....

My Scoliosis Album (http://community.webshots.com/album/126870387JMTBFC)
Me, My friends, and family (http://community.webshots.com/album/47404224ZOObMR)

Little~shedevil~dee
15th May 2004, 05:48 PM
wow you back looks great i allso must say you are very pretty:)

rosie
15th May 2004, 06:16 PM
your back looks brilliant! And the scar has faded a lot :D
When was your operation?
Mines was almost 2 years ago now...
Your flexibility is amazing! I cant touch my toes... dont think i could before scoliosis came into my life but still! Looking great! xxx

Blair
15th May 2004, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys! *blush*
My surgery was on December 15, 2003. So exactly 5 months ago today. :-)
rosie- the funny thing was before my surgery, I couldn't touch my toes. I could get down to about mid shinbone, and then have to stop because my back hurt.

Little~shedevil~dee
15th May 2004, 06:27 PM
if i do ever have an operations i hope mine looks as good as yours:D

jfkimberly
15th May 2004, 08:03 PM
Wow. WOW! That is an amazing correction, Blair. You look fantastic!

the funny thing was before my surgery, I couldn't touch my toes. I could get down to about mid shinbone, and then have to stop because my back hurt.Does that mean you don't have pain now?

Blair
15th May 2004, 08:16 PM
I still have some pain, but not as much as before my operation.
Riding and showing horses is my passion in life. I had to give up competing after one show last season because it took me doubles of my muscle relaxer, ibuprofen 800's, and codine to get me through my championship class.
My pain now I think is mostly muscle spasam related (a problem that I had before my surgery too), and also the couple of degenerated discs in my lower back. The part of my back that is fused feels weird sometimes, but isn't painful.

LightningRod
15th May 2004, 09:29 PM
Wow!!! Awesome correction!!

Great flexibility too!!! Lol. I couldn't do that B4 my surgery!

Kayla
15th May 2004, 11:30 PM
Wow Blair looking good!

Jonny
16th May 2004, 01:01 AM
Looking great! I hope I get such nice correction. Ibuprofen 800? Is that safe?

DublinPauline
16th May 2004, 01:17 AM
Brilliant pictures. Oh to have a correction like that. :-)

Blair
16th May 2004, 01:36 AM
Well, Jonny... I've been living off them for about two years.. Haven't harmed me yet (I usually take no less than 2400 mg a day). I only glow in the dark a little bit... ;-)
Thanks guys!

Edited.... Minus the H. Sorry Jonny! :oops:

Pikey
16th May 2004, 08:33 AM
Wow , thats brilliant and you are so bendy too still . My backs so rigid I waddle when I walk but your looking great .Becarefull of those horses though we dont want any mishaps .

Kaja
16th May 2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Blair@May 16 2004, 12:36 AM
Well, Johnny...
Now now Blair, might wanna edit that H, before Jonny sees it :hammer:

titch
16th May 2004, 07:48 PM
You can take 800mg ibuprofen in one go safely enough, for all that the OTC packs say not to take more than 400mg. The prescribed dose for various forms of arthritis is 2400mg daily, 800mg x 3, which shouldn't be exceeded however.

I was on 2400mg daily for a significant period, and toward the end of it, I am pretty sure I was starting to get minor stomach bleeds from them, and certainly unless I ate plenty (and the right stuff, alas for my waistline "right" seemed to be fatty) they left me with a good deal of abdominal discomfort. I was also taking 8 codydramol a day at that point, so although they don't upset the stomach in the same way, I don't suppose they were helping it's equilibrium either.

Jonny
17th May 2004, 12:30 AM
Well, Johnny...
:twak:

Thanks Kaja, you tried :-D

I played in a concert a couple of weeks ago when I had taken 400mg ibuprofen beforehand, to minimise pain afterwards, and I'd been sitting on a relatively good chair and a wedge. But despite that I was in a lot of pain afterwards, and I was advised against taking any more ibuprofen that night (said two hours after the first dose) by a nurse. I could, however, top it up with paracetamol, which as far as I was concerned was completely and utterly useless. I quickly went home and got my brace on, and the pain was forgotten. But would it have been OK to take more of the stuff at the time?

titch
17th May 2004, 10:38 AM
Well, as it happens you would probably have been well advised to take the paracetamol. I find it *useless* on it's own, but it is very effective in combination with other painkillers. So much so, that at QMC they prescribe you paracetamol to go with your fast acting morphine, as they have found it gets patients onto lower doses faster, reduces breakthrough pain, and gets people off the morphine faster.

It isn't advisable to take 800s of ibuprofen on a routine basis, and certainly not without doctor's advice. But once in a while it isn't likely to hurt anything. You must *always* eat before taking them though!

It's probably better though, under circumstances like the one you just described, to take a combination of ibuprofen and co-codamol (paracetamol and codeine). You could either take one type before the concert and the other type after, or take one of each before and one of each after, for example.

It can be very difficult to get good advice on pain. I have had a GP point blank lie to me, telling me that I was on the strongest painkillers it was possible to prescribe, and that they would just have to do. At that time I was on voltarol (diclofenac) and co-proxamol. Of course, the result of that was that I went away and tried ibuprofen and paramol (the slightly weaker brother of codydramol) on my own, and spent the next several months effectively self medicating. When I finally got the courage to go back, I was lucky enough to see my usual GP, and he was wonderful - put me straight on codydramol, and told me I could take double doses of ibuprofen (I was already taking 1600mg a day). Of course one shouldn't over medicate, but neither should one be forced to be under medicated.

Blair
19th May 2004, 03:18 AM
Yep... 800's can be a little rough on the stomach.... For a while, I was practically living off of antacids. But I kind of got used to them???? now. I can take them on an empty stomach and not have it bother me.