PDA

View Full Version : Kyphosis

Cathyc910
28th April 2005, 05:49 AM
I have had scoliosis since I was 11 years old and am now 59. I was put on oxygen in Dec of 2002 and use it 24/7. I was told that I had COPD. Actually, I later learned that the true name of my current condition is kyphosis or kyphoscoliosis. I am just looking to communicate with anyone else who has the same experience.
Thank you.

Kayla
28th April 2005, 05:58 AM
Hey Cathy. Welcome to SSO! I would talk to Mark, I think he has experience with kyphosis.

butterflylr
28th April 2005, 06:20 AM
Welcome Cathy! I get lost on who has what here but I am sure those with similar conditions as you will be very helpful on all your questions! Welcome to the family! :welcome2:

Amazed Jean
28th April 2005, 06:47 AM
Cathy, Welcome to SSO. I'm "Amazed" - Jean really. I am 53 and have kyphoscoliosis had it since I was 12 and have never had surgery or braces. I am on full time oxygen and have just gotten a Bipap machine. The Bipap is testing my sanity but I am still trying to get the hang of sleeping with mask etc. My family doctor also calls my lung problem COPD but mainly because it fits what they have to file for insurance. I live in Oklahoma- USA and am excited to find another "fossil" with similar experiences.

BarmyArmy
28th April 2005, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the family Cathy :D

My name is Leona, sorry I can't answer your questions but I just wanted to say hi :wave:

jfkimberly
28th April 2005, 11:45 AM
Hi Cathy,
I'm 31 and was born with severe and rapidly progressing congenital scoliosis. I had fusion at 11 months. Now I have 25-30% lung capacity. The cause is not exactly the same as kyphosis, but the effect on lung capacity is identical. I'm on BiPAP at night, but I'm still able to keep my pulse-ox up around 95% saturation on room air, so I haven't been given O2 yet. I keep asking for it for those days when I really have to push myself (I also have allergy-related asthma, so some days the problems compound).

sins
28th April 2005, 11:50 AM
Hi Cathy and welcome.I'm 37,have scoliosis with curves 110/60 and have 49% lung capacity.You'll find so many of us here to share your experiences with.
Sins

tonibunny
28th April 2005, 11:54 AM
Welcome Cathy! I'm glad you've found us. You're very welcome here :welcome:

We have a number of members here with kyphosis/kyphoscoliosis, and also people with scoliosis who have respiratory problems due to scoliosis. If you have any questions etc please feel free to ask as we'll always do our best to find information for you. Please tell us more about yourself - have you any idea what the degree of your curvature is? Have you had surgery or other treatment? Where in the world do you live? Sorry, lots of questions for you! We love newbies here :D

Toni xx

mark
28th April 2005, 12:59 PM
Helo cathy and welcome to the site. My main problem is Kyphosis with Scoliosis being a result of my kyphosis.

I hope you enjoy coming to the site

Mark

DublinPauline
28th April 2005, 01:16 PM
Hi Cathy
I'm 39 (today!) and have congenital scoliosis which was treated by braces and surgery up to the age of 13 and is stable at over 100 degrees. I have restricted lung capacity as a result (around 45%) which at the moment isn't causing too many problems, except if walking up a hill or when I'm really exhausted. I expect to use a bi-pap in the future to avoid CO2 retention and resulting damage to heart and lung function.
Welcome to SSO - hope you'll like it here and get support from us other "Scolis". :welcome2:

annie
28th April 2005, 01:33 PM
Hi Cathy,

Welcome :)
I'm 40 now and have had thoracic scoliosis since I was a toddler. I also developed lumbar kyphosis after my son was born in my mid twenties. If you want to know anything, just ask.

Anne xx

Kayla
28th April 2005, 04:28 PM
Hey I was right! It was Mark who had kyphosis. Also if you go to the specific medical conditions room theres a site on kyphosis.

Phil
28th April 2005, 08:21 PM
Hey Cathy.

I am Phil aged 20 from the Uk. I have kyphosis with scoliosis. Am waiting for surgery date.

Nice to see you here, hope you enjoy and get as much support as i have.

Marti
28th April 2005, 11:56 PM
Hey Cathy! welcome! I'm MArtha, I'm 16, and I'm from Chicago USA. I had surgery in July 03.

Little Ali
1st May 2005, 06:36 PM
Hi Cathy!
I'm 23 and have Kyphotic scoliosis with Spina Bifida. I'm waiting for an appointment to see my consultant. I had one fusion when I was 12. We're all a really friendly lot here!

It's be great to chat to you sometime!

Sarah
8th May 2005, 02:25 AM
hi i also have kyphoscoliosis (congenital). how are you coping?

Sarah - Smurf

Jonny
8th May 2005, 01:44 PM
Hiya Cathy :wave: I had scoliosis surgery last summer and revision in March.

I think most scoliosis (including mine) has a kyphosis component, so could be called kyphoscoliosis.

Welcome to SSO! :-D