PDA

View Full Version : Mobile version of the site?

Amberina
31st October 2011, 05:58 PM
Is there any way of creating a mobile version of the site for the phone users, and people away from the pc? It can sometimes be difficult to read and reply to new threads as you have to zoom in, and keep scrolling to see the entire length of the paragraph? Dunno if this is possible but I thought I'd ask anyway

Amber

titch
31st October 2011, 07:02 PM
Should be able to do that when we get an updated version of vBulletin, so it is planned - I know it's a pain, as it's been driving me bonkers too when I try to get to it on mobile. Oooooh - I *may* be able to do something sooner, if I can find a mobile theme, as that would then be selectable in the little theme box. I'll see if there is anything out there, as I actually have no idea - I just know that doing it within the system will be muuuuuuuch easier when we upgrade to a newer version. I'll look into whether it's worth having a different URL for a mobile site as well, as I know some forum systems have done this.

lyssie
1st November 2011, 11:38 AM
Ohh this sounds awesome! I am often using my iPhone in bed to come on SSO so it would be great if for instance we didn't have to scroll sideways to see the whole parahraph :) thanks Titch

SS2_Dave
1st November 2011, 12:18 PM
Agreed this would be a good idea :) I often browse sso on my HTC Wildfire so the additon of a mobile version of the site would be a very welcome addition :)

Amberina
1st November 2011, 05:27 PM
That would be great Titch, whatever you can do! :)

mark
1st November 2011, 09:18 PM
I feel such a caveman, my mobile phone doesn't even have a camera on it let alone internet access

http://www.myfreewallpapers.net/cartoons/wallpapers/captain-caveman.jpg

wildcats56
1st November 2011, 10:23 PM
Omg iphones, scrolling sideways, browsing!!? I can just about manage to make calls and text

tiffany.m
14th November 2011, 09:05 PM
Mmm the only problem for me is the scrolling but with a BlackBerry it's made for the internet :P
Tiff xx

moneyblind
14th November 2011, 10:15 PM
Just throwing it out there, that i am a website consultant and webmaster (well, was, i owned a computer business that did anything under the sun with computers) and i could give you a hand if you need it, just ask :)

BeckyH
17th November 2011, 11:57 AM
even with smartphones though, mobile sites can be useful where you're in a region with weak data coverage (hospitals often suffer from this!) so it can be much easier to have a mobile-friendly version. all sounds exciting!