PDA

View Full Version : Getting worse?

Phil
13th April 2005, 09:13 PM
Hey all.

Over the last 2 or 3 months, in particular the last few weeks. I have noticed increased pain. Mostly under my left shoulder blade and lower, plus my hips.

At work, i sometimes sit on a wooden chair with flat back. I have noticed i have been sitting to one side alot more often. I got my mum to check my back out, and my left middle/lower side of my back is protruding more. Mum and I can notice the difference.

As most of you are aware, i have kyphosis with scoliosis (not severe) and am awaiting surgery. Not sure if to inform anyone, my consultant or GP or what???

I am not all that clued up about this type of thing, so any indications of whats going on and what i should do would be great.

Regards.

mark
13th April 2005, 09:48 PM
First of you should ask your employer to provide you with another chair. I don't know what you do but in this and age offices should no longer have rigid wooden chairs in them. If you are working at a dedicated workstation then you should ask your employer to do a workstation risk assessment which he is required to do by law/

I would then have a word with your GP maybe he could drop a line to the hospital enquiring after when you are going to have your sugery.

I know and understand what your going through as we both have the same issues kyphosis being the main problem rather than scoliosis.

titch
13th April 2005, 10:05 PM
And once you've had an assessment do keep on to them until you get what you're supposed to! I work for a human rights organisation, and have been stuck at my woefully inadequate desk for 6 months now! At the start of the year I finally got assessed and am supposed to have a new desk, a foot rest and a made to measure chair - at the least I would have expected the desk by now :soapbox:

As to what to do, and whether things have got worse in terms of curve progression - they may have done, but it's also entirely possible that you've got a load of muscle spasm causing the pain and pulling you off balance. Any irritation of muscle and joints can cause you to end up sitting unevenly and moving badly to kind of lean away from the pain. It'd definitely be a good idea to see your GP, as s/he may be able to sort out something that'll help with the symptoms at least.

It also wouldn't hurt to see if you can find out where you are on the waiting list, and if you ring your consultant's secretary they should be able to tell you whether you're able to book another appointment for a checkup - if you are, book one as soon as possible. If not, you'll probably have to ask your GP to write to them and ask them to see you again because of changes to the situation.

Hope you get some relief soon!

mark
14th April 2005, 11:17 AM
Drop me a pm Phil or catch me on msn if you want to chat about it i know all about the anxiety it causes

Mark

sins
14th April 2005, 02:48 PM
Hi Phil,
Sorting out your office seating is just one aspect of it.
Drop by your GP and consider getting some prescription anti inflammatories to deal with the pain.Until your surgery, there's very little you can actually do apart from treating the symptoms and the pain.
Hope you get some relief soon.
Sins

Phil
14th April 2005, 06:30 PM
My boss is so unapproachable, and i have only been with this employer for a few weeks. My last employer were great.

Thanks for your advice guys, i called my consultants secretary today, i am now on the waiting list after being in his in box for months. But they still say it will not be for around 9 months. They said that 3 months ago! In a bad mood.....

I may have to see my GP, if i could afford it i would go right back to my chiropractor. He was great...

mark
14th April 2005, 07:14 PM
You know where here to give you all the help and support you need

Thaleias spirit
14th April 2005, 07:50 PM
For years I managed away with "ordinary" office accommodation .. simply because I didnt have too much problems with it and I didnt want to be different from anyone else.

Last year that all changed. After suffering constant hip pain, and numbness in my leg I had no choice but to go to my doctor for help. She in turn reffered me to a physiotherapist. The physio was great, it did help.. granted some days I was in agony afterwards but it helped loosen out some muscles and the numbness wasnt as constant as it had been.

My physiotherapist also reffered me to a Seating & Mobility Clinic that she worked with from time to time. I found the appointment tough, only because I hated the fact that I had to get help. It was tough, because of my height and scoliosis but we went through a lot of options and my physiotherapist also came along so that she could make some reccommendations too, which was helpful. One of the simple things it had that made a huge difference was a footrest that was actually attached to the chair so it was directly under my feet.

Before the chair arrived I had to get some anti-inflammatory medication from my doctor because the pain I was in (all lumbar area) was so constant and unbearable.. that was a first, another tell-tale sign to me that things are changing.

I got the chair about two weeks ago. It has helped a little. Its taking a lot of getting used to. My opinion on it? I hate it ... Everday I look at it and it reminds me that Im not like everyone else. Everyday I see the brake that was attached to it, the straps they thought would be a good idea (so i could strap myself to the seat)

But Ive got to get over my stupid pride and use it ... if it reduces the back pain Im getting when I have no other way to reduce it then I guess that is what I have to do.

I know you are with a new employer .. but push them on this.
Do not let the back pain get out of hand. Even if you just go back to the chiropractor even once, they might be able to provide you with some advice on what to do in the meantime whilst you are awaiting surgery.

Phil
16th April 2005, 06:33 PM
Funnily enough, had occupational health on the phone to my manager stating not to get me lifting things etc.

So, now feels the right time to mention seating.

Today was the first time ever i looked in the mirror at my back properly. Got like two big mirrors so i could see it all.
One side is definitely out more than the other, surprised by how much it was uneven. Is that the scoliosis part? Making it uneven

It could have been like that for ages, but first time i have noticed and associated the pain to it. I spent a long time in denial. Just needed to post, cause i am shocked!

mark
16th April 2005, 07:34 PM
I know what you mean about mirrors i try to avoid them

Amazed Jean
16th April 2005, 11:13 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who avoids mirrors. Scoliosis has definitely made me mirror and camera shy. I avoid both at all costs! I am sorry about your pain. Unfortunately the pain endured while seated at a office desk was insurmountable for me. Hence i quit working for others and only part-timed without pay for my husband and then quit. I just have a very hard time getting comfortable. I end up with pillows and stuff scrunched under me to just sit and watch tv. Thank goodness my family all lets me get comfortable first and they adjust.