PDA

View Full Version : New here

IansMommy
1st April 2005, 10:40 PM
I just wanted to introduce myself and share a little bit about my son Ian. Ian was diagnosed in February at his 6 month check-up with Infantile scoliosis. We took him to a local orthopedist who measured his cobb angle at 37 degrees (right thoracic). He prescribed a TLSO brace, but upon doing some research on the internet, we have chosen to have him casted. We are due to go to Shriner's in Erie, PA to have him casted by Dr. Khouryon April 11th and 12th, and he will be 8 months old by then (well, almost 8 mos). I am anxious to see his X-rays because his back seem to be getting worse to me. While I hate the thought of him having to wear the cast, I am so hopeful that it will straighten him out. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Jennifer

tonibunny
1st April 2005, 10:53 PM
Welcome Jennifer! :welcome: I'm glad you've found us. As you'll know from the CAST Yahoo Group, serial casting can be very successful in treating young infants and Ian's curve and age suggest that he stands a very good chance of being helped by this treatment.

Please don't worry too much about him wearing the cast. I wore casts for years as a child, since I was a baby, and they're really not all that bad :D Children are very adaptable!

sins
1st April 2005, 11:14 PM
Hi Jennifer and welcome.
I think casting is the best option for small children like your son.I had infantile idiopathic scoliosis and now I'm 37 and wish I'd been casted.We love to hear success stories with young children and wish you all the best with the casting.he has lots of growth and hopefully plenty of scope for correction.
sins

Sealy
1st April 2005, 11:35 PM
Jennifer ????!!!!

Hya doing ? April 11, will be here before you know it. It's so nice to see familiar names. This group is the best !!! There are so many people here who will make you feel loved and welcome. :kiss:

Sealy (aka Celia Vogel)

Pikey
2nd April 2005, 10:14 PM
Hiya Jennifer and welcome too , i had to wear the dreaded Milwaulkee brace as a kid from the age of 7 till i was 15 .It doesn&#39;t take long to get used to them and soon learn to run around in them ,i tell you it was weird the first day when i was 15 when i didn&#39;t have to wear it .Being so young he will take to it fairly quickley and hopefully the results will prove to be worth while .I know it breaks your heart to see your child go through this , my daughter Charlotte was born with 2 holes in her heart and went through open heart surgery at just one years old .My thoughts and prayers are with you , God bless .............Tim <><

Amazed Jean
3rd April 2005, 05:27 AM
Welcome jennifer. Welcome to the site. I&#39;m Amazed (Jean) I&#39;m 53 live in Oklahoma and have curves of 150, 88, and 55. Never been braced and never had surgery. Now I have to be on Oxygen full time and have other problems. Boy do i wish someone casted me or did surgery back in my youth. My best advice is to stay after getting your child help and keep great records. Take notes. Keep copies of everything. Ask the doctors etc for copies of their records. Keep xray copies or photos of them. You keep them. You are a lot more secure than any hospital or clinic where records are lost all the time. Remember that we are always here for you to talk. Or rant or cry - whatever.

newgirl
4th April 2005, 02:40 PM
Hi JEnnifer
Welcome to SSO.
My little girl also has a 37 deg curve and was briefly in a plaster cast for the first time a few weeks ago. She is now in a brace for a few weeks as we are relocating to the US for the summer and her surgeon did not want to have her in the plaster cast for so long without it being changed.
In terms of the cast, I was really amazed at how quickly Niamh adjusted to having it on. She is 18 months so your 8 month old will probably adjust even quicker as he won&#39;t be as frustrated by the mobility problems Niamh encountered in the first few days. Prepare for a few disturbed nights, as Niamh found it hard to get herself comfy if she woke in the night, but again within a few days she had really settled in. One thing I did not really think about was the difficulty of clothes fitting, bigger sizes obviously, but I found trousers and skirts for Niamh to be really difficult, they had to be wide enough at the waist to go over the cast but invariably slipped down, so I found dungarees to be the best thing. (Much easier for a little boy)
One other bit af advice is to bring a change of clothes for yourself to the hospital, I didn&#39;t and got puked on&#33;&#33; Apparantly lots of babies end up swallowing a lot of air duringa GA and of course when they eat or drink something it all comes up.
The very best of luck next week,
Nicola

IansMommy
4th April 2005, 10:46 PM
Nicola, thanks for the advice. I have been trying to decide what to do for him for clothes. I guess I will have to go up a size...I am just worried about the pants being too long. I guess with summer coming it will be easier since it will soon be shorts weather. Thanks for the tips.

andrea
7th April 2005, 07:54 PM
Hi Jennifer. I know you from Heather&#39;s group - welcome to SSO, my more regular hang-out. I agree with Nicola that clothes can be a bit of a nightmare, and Erin tends to live in jogging bottoms (not sure what you call them in the US) from Next (for UK peeps) as they stay up over the cast, whereas jeans don&#39;t. Anything with a waistband tends to fall down. Dungarees are great, although I&#39;ve been potty training Erin and they&#39;re not really good when time is of the essence.

Before too long both of you will be completely used to the cast - I no longer notice it with Erin, and neither does she unless you&#39;re talking about it. Everything will go just fine I&#39;m sure. He&#39;ll adjust really quickly and you&#39;ll be the one in pain as he throws himself at you or grazes your arm with it - all comes with the territory I&#39;m afraid.

Best of luck, and welcome once again
Andrea and Erin