PDA

View Full Version : New, my story.

Phil
28th February 2005, 12:42 AM
Hey everyone, I am new to the forums. They look great!

I am Phil, 20 Year Old male from the UK, Norfolk.

I have a 62 degree kyphosis and slight scoliosis. After a few years of being fobbed off I have now been told I need surgery asap. Should be in 6-9 months time.
I have been told i need a spinal fusion with intrumentation going through the side (anterial?) and through the back (Posterial?) over two operations.

I have researched the procedure in great detail, however there is nothing like talking to people with condition and who have been through it.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you, feel free to PM or add me msn to talk, or over these great boards.

Jonny
28th February 2005, 02:27 AM
Hiya Phil - welcome to the family! :wave:

I'm 16 from Bedford and had my scoliosis surgery in the summer at Stanmore. Naturally I had a slight hyperkyphosis/lordosis with the scoliosis. The lordosis was corrected, the kyphosis wasn't (a hook came out, which is incredibly rare) and I'm going in very soon to have it re-done. Most of my fusion is complete and solid, though.

My surgery was anterior and posterior fusion too :-) my two stages were done a week apart rather than at the same time, although different surgeons and different hospitals prefer different things. Feel free to ask me anything about it - although yours is primarily kyphosis surgery, it's pretty much exactly the same procedure.

Where is your clinic, and who's your surgeon? It's good to hear the ball's rolling, and those few months will pass like lightning.

And we need more men on this forum!

Jonny

butterflylr
28th February 2005, 03:46 AM
Ooh! Welcome to SSO! You'll enjoy it here! :welcome2:

I'm Lindsay and I'm 23 years old. I live in Sammamish, Washington (USA) and I have an S curve of approximately 45 and 30. I've never had surgery for it and I've recently been told that I may not ever need to (surprisingly).

Hope to see you on here! :monkey:

Amazed Jean
28th February 2005, 07:18 AM
Hello Phil. I'm Jean (amazed) Esteemed Fossil or the old lady of the crowd. I'm 53 years old and have 3 curves 150, 88, 55. I have never been braced nor have I had surgery. I am on full time oxygen but still hanging in. Lots of people here that have been in your shoes. Lots of people here that can help you and lots of us are crazy too. You're welcome here, you'll like us.

andrea
28th February 2005, 01:49 PM
Hi Phil

Welcome to SSO. I write on behalf of my daughter who has scoliosis. She's only 2 and hasn't got the hang of typing on a keyboard yet (although she's quite nifty on the cbeebies website). She has infantile scoliosis with a starting curve of 62 degrees and is being treated with a series of plaster jackets. She is currently at 34 degrees.

I'm afraid I have no experience of the surgery you're going to have, but lots of people do and they'll be on soon to share their experiences I'm sure. Glad to hear it's not too long to wait.

Welcome again
Andrea

sins
28th February 2005, 02:01 PM
Hi Phil and welcome to SSO.
I'm from Ireland and had my surgery in 1983.My 110 degree curve was successfully fused but not corrected.I don't have too much pain but have only 49% lung capacity left and I'm determined to hang onto it.
I think sarah H has had kyphosis surgery and Mark has kyphosis but no surgery.The waiting list for adults is incredibly long on the NHS and I think 9 months is kind of in between when compared to the average wait time.Feel free to ask any questions and once again welcome.
Sins

Phil
28th February 2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks everyone so far. Regarding waiting time, I will take nothing for granted yet.

DublinPauline
28th February 2005, 02:45 PM
Welcome Phil.
I'm 38, live in Dublin in Ireland and had a spinal fusion in 1979 which has kept my rather large s shaped scoliosis curve stable. My main issue is lung function , which while being under 50%, remains stable and doesn't cause me any ongoing problems. Just to complete the picture, my husband and I have a five year old daughter and I work part-time as a freelance business consultant. :-)

titch
28th February 2005, 04:12 PM
Hi Phil,

:welcome2: I'm another UKer, based in Swindon. I had same-day anterior and posterior surgery for scoliosis back in 1994. Unfortunately that left me with a kyphosis where I was fused, causing a condition called fixed sagittal imbalance, which I had further, very successful surgery for in late 2002.

Liv
28th February 2005, 05:42 PM
Hello :D

I'm 21 years old, and I live in Belgium. I had the anterior and posterior surgery on my 90/50 scoliosis in 1999. Both on the same day, and I went home after 12 days. All goes well so far. Take care and I hope you like it here! :niceone:

Liv

Abbi
28th February 2005, 06:57 PM
Hey Phil! Welcome to SSO! My name is Abbi, and Im another mad Irish munckin - lol! sorry, im just a little hyper at the moment!
I'm 18 years old....but act about 12!
hmm....what else to tell u....ah yes....my scoli - I was diagnosed w/scoliosis in March of last year and found out in september that I have a double curve of 80 degrees.....and I have to wait until Jan or so to have posterior surgery (should b T1 - L4)

I hope that you get a date sooner rather than later.....!!!!

Welcome again, if you have any Qs feel free to ask....and if I can't answer them someone will!

Take care

Becky
28th February 2005, 08:42 PM
Hiya Phil, welcome to SSO!!

Im Becky, 19 next week from Bolton, UK. I was told for 8 months that I needed surgery and was just told the other week that I dont need surgery afterall, as my curve is only about 34 degrees. I can still have anterior surgery if I want, I havent made my mind up yet.

I may sound ignorant but...... waht is kyphosis??

BlueIce
28th February 2005, 09:52 PM
Hi Phil, and welcome to the site!
My name's Leen, but don't bother to pronounce it cause it's dutch :-) I'm 20 and live in Belgium, just like Liv.
I had surgery (posterior only) exactly 8 months ago, to correct a double S curve from 60 and 50 degrees. If you have a look in the "member galleries" (at the top left of your screen) you can find some xrays (just click on my username).
If there's any questions you might have, don't hesitate to ask. This site really is wonderfull and I wouldn't have been so strong during my surgery if it wasn't for this site and all the usefull information I got here.

Phil
28th February 2005, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone, its a waiting game for me now. And a learning curve.

Becky
Kyphosis= Abnormal rearward curvature of the spine, resulting in a protuberant upper back. Also called humpback, hunch or slouch. Bad names which kids sometimes like to use.

Thaleias spirit
1st March 2005, 12:23 AM
Hi and welcome Phil ... Its good to have you here.

My name is Chele (short for Michele), I'm 32 and based in Ireland also.
I have kypho-scoliosis, which has ever never been monitered properly so I still dont know the degress of curvature that I have and neither have I had surgery.

Hope you enjoy your stay here... :-)

chele

Marti
1st March 2005, 02:52 AM
Welcome Phil!

I'm martha, 16 and from Chicago. I had surgery to correct my scoliosis in july '03

Vicki
3rd March 2005, 08:52 AM
A belated hi Phil! I'm Vicki, 21 and from Kent originally but living in the Midlands. I had surgery for 60 / 60 curves with 90 degree rotation when I was 10, which I don't think was amzingly successful but I can't really get anything done about until I graduate now, as it'll be too disruptive.

Hope you stick around, everyone here's great! :)

mark
3rd March 2005, 12:47 PM
Hello Phil i have Kyphosis with mild scoliosis i have been to see consultants on two seperate occasions once when i was a teenager and again last year.

Sorry i am a bit late saying hello but i have been really busy at work and my daughter is not very well so If you want to pm me or e mail feel free.

I hope you stick around and we get a chance to chat, we are all like minded people who just want to support and help one another. Its a really friendly place to come

Mark

jfkimberly
3rd March 2005, 06:59 PM
I thought I already posted in this thread, but I can't find it now, so I must not have. Oops. :oops:

So a late "hello" and welcome to SSO, Phil! I'm Kimberly... 31, from the U.S., and I have congenital scoliosis. I had a spinal fusion without instrumentation when I was 11 months old, and a second attempt at 18 months. I don't look right, but my chief complaint is my extremely restricted lung capacity (around 25%) as a result of the thoracic curve (solid at 60 degrees, I think) and fusions that prevented any growth of my thoracic spine since 11 months of age.

BarmyArmy
4th March 2005, 11:41 PM
Sorry for the minor delay with my greeting :oops:

:wave: Hello Phil, welcome to our fun, loving wonky family. :D

My name is Leona, I'm 28 and I live in Dundee, Scotland. I work as a part time children's bookseller as I have mild scoliosis. I'm a big fan of chocolate, ice hockey and big shock, books. :spin:

I hope you enjoy the site and I look forward to seeing you around the board.

BTW It's also great to get more men on this board, us girlie's need more subjects to play with :glee:

Phil
4th March 2005, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

I dont mind being played with, but i can bite. ;)

BarmyArmy
4th March 2005, 11:58 PM
Ah but some of us bite back too :niceone:

I think I'm going to like chatting to you Phil, you sound like a great guy. :squeeze:

tonibunny
8th March 2005, 02:10 AM
Ooooh I am sorry Phil, I seemed to have missed welcoming you on this thread!! :welcome: Anyway, it's great to have you here, you're very welcome :D

sins
8th March 2005, 10:23 AM
Is that cake for Phil, Leona or can anyone have a slice???*Drools.

BarmyArmy
8th March 2005, 11:29 AM
Ah you know me, I'm happy to share my munchies. :D Though it would need to be a very big cake to go around on this site. :spin:

Phil
8th March 2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks Toni : )

Umm, chocolate cake, damn you are making me hungry!