PDA

View Full Version : Leg Pain again?

Marti
4th May 2004, 04:27 AM
I think you guys all know about my leg, but in case you don't, here's a recap: After Thanksgiving my leg started having shooting pains to the point where I could barely move. It went away for about a week after being on bedrest for two days, but soon came back. after physical therapy three times a week for about 6 weeks it finally got better. since then I have discovered that it will never be back to normal. If I sit crosslegged or put my foot on my lap to put lotion on I have to lift my leg up with my arm or I have shooting pains. but I can play the violin again and that's all that matters.

Just today I had a burning sensation in my leg. Just in one part. It felt like someone was holding a match to that part. This is what my leg felt like before. I'm going to go stratch and try to get back in the habit of doing crunches and pushups, but I'm really scared my leg is coming back. :woe:

titch
4th May 2004, 10:14 AM
This might sound odd, but depending on how hard your bed is, getting a softer mattress or a mattress topper (forgive me if old age is getting the better of me and I've forgotten you saying in one of the bed discussions that you have a soft one already or something ;-) ) might help - ever since my revision, I find that if I have to sleep on a hard bed, and spend too much time sleeping on my left side I get terrible pain in my hip, and bizarre sensations in my leg. I'm lucky in that they are always gone within a few days at most, particularly if I get on to it really quickly with taking some nsaids (usually ibuprofen), applying Deep Relief gel to it and taking hot showers. I know ice works for some people, but I find it just makes me spasm up because its too cold :roll: I hope the exercises work again!

Blair
4th May 2004, 02:26 PM
Oh! I really hope you can nip this in the bud! *crosses fingers*

Crazy16girl
4th May 2004, 02:26 PM
I did find after surgery my left leg had BAD shooting pains and burning sensations at the top. This could have been due to them doing something to my nurves. It went on for about 2 months and i couldnt lift my leg into the bath so my mum had to do it and i would cry everytime. I didnt have any exercise's to do or anything, but it eventually went. Hope yours gets better soon! x

Carly
4th May 2004, 03:56 PM
i cant give you any advice Martha.. but i do hope it goes away soon :)

Jonny
4th May 2004, 07:27 PM
Hope it's sorted soon! When I sit up on the chairs in my school's main hall to play the violin, when I am wearing a brace, the top of my right thigh goes numb, and sometimes it feels really warm, as though there's a lamp shining on it. Take the brace off, numbness stops. Yours is different though right?

BarmyArmy
4th May 2004, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry that your leg is bothering you again Martha :( I hope you get better soon :hug:

Marti
5th May 2004, 12:34 AM
yeah, mine is different Jonny. I have some really weird stuff going on with my left side. My feet and hands are normally very cold and pinkish purpleish. My right hand and foot are still like that, but my left hand and foot are normal skin colored. And I don't feel the same way on that side as I do on my rgith side. Not good when I'm a completely dominatn lefty!

My leg didn't hurt at all today, so I'm thinking it may have just been a weird one time thing... *crosses fingers*

jfkimberly
5th May 2004, 10:03 AM
*crosses fingers with you* Keep us posted. Does your doctor know about your cold and discolored hands and feet?

Kayla
5th May 2004, 10:16 PM
Sorry Martha ever since my fuson my leg gives me problems but not as what you describe so I hope yours gets better!

Marti
5th May 2004, 11:45 PM
Kimberly, I told my doctor about it at my 2 week post op appointment. My left foot was at that point about ten degrees warmer than my right. He said it should go away within a few months. So I think I'll talk to him when I go on Monday. I'm rather reluctant to tell him anything as eveytime I tell him something he tells me to go do pt for it...

jfkimberly
6th May 2004, 02:09 AM
Does the PT usually fix the problem?

Kayla
6th May 2004, 10:09 PM
They always say PT fixes the problem! BUT I hate PT so I never think it helps! I dont know if it really does though so Ill shutup

Jonny
7th May 2004, 12:37 AM
Does everyone get physio after modern fusions? If so, how intensive?

titch
7th May 2004, 11:17 AM
I nearly got some after mine, because I specifically requested it - my left leg still was causing problems after a few weeks, having to be lifted into the car with me and so on, and there might have been another reason I wanted it (I have some painkiller induced holes in my memories of that time :oops: ). In fact, by the time the appointment came through, everything had improved so much I really didn't need the hassle of a 5.5-6hr round trip to get taught a few exercises, so I cancelled it. I don't think QMC routinely give physio - it's only really if there is a particular and specific need for it as there was in my case.

Marti
8th May 2004, 12:13 AM
I didn't have PT after my surgery, well except for in the hospital, just practicing walking and stuff. I had it a bit later because it was hurting to play the violin. Turns out I was just sitting wrong and the PT didn't help at all. BUt the PT worked wonders with my leg. IT didn't help the discoloration. But I have good news. Today, for the first time in close to a year my feet are almost the same color! I'm so happy! I'm using Burts Bees coconut foot creme and it's working really well. And my leg hasn't hurt at all. I think I just needed to start stretching again. My hamstrings are really tight if I go even a day without stretching.

Kayla
8th May 2004, 12:15 AM
lol Burts Bee you should be their unofficial spokesperson like for Wendys LOL jk

Blair
8th May 2004, 02:34 AM
I wasn't going to have PT after my surgery. But I had trouble with muscle spasams (existing problem, but it was aggrivated somewhat after my surgery) so I had PT...
One person I know in real life was put into PT (and was told that it would be necessary prior to surgery). The other didn't have PT at all.

Carly
8th May 2004, 02:50 AM
good to hear martha! i need to go back to physio, i think i have appt next week. it is now my shoulder that is bugging me more than my back

Kayla
8th May 2004, 06:59 PM
yah I should go back to even though I despise it my legs are so tight and my should or as I found out my rib is still killing me

Marti
8th May 2004, 08:31 PM
Kayla, to stretch out your legs if your bed is against the wall just lie down and put your feet up against the wall. It's really easy and it stretches out your hamstrings.

Kayla
8th May 2004, 09:03 PM
yah I hate that exercise though my therapist used to give me a whole buncha homework exercises and I hated it grrr I will never be happy I am such a brat!

Carly
9th May 2004, 02:25 AM
i never do the excercises they give me... oops!

Marti
9th May 2004, 05:01 AM
You should really try to do the stretching ones. I never did the strengthening exercises, but i always did the stretching ones. Stretching makes my leg feel so much better.

Kayla
9th May 2004, 07:33 PM
You never did them but you always did them?

Marti
10th May 2004, 03:42 AM
no, I had strengthening ones, which I never did, and stretching ones, which I always did.

Kayla
10th May 2004, 05:45 AM
Oh ok I guess I didnt read it all..kinda tired :-)

sins
10th May 2004, 01:10 PM
I had a lot of PT before my surgery but none after apart from some breathing exercises and leg movements to prevent blood clots.The before surgery PT was very good and involved strengthening the abdominal muscles and increasing spine flexibility.legs can cause problems many years after surgery.As I write now I'm off work today due to wonky leg. I woke up at 3 am and couldn't fully feel my left leg.I could walk and move it but it felt frozen.This morning my leg felt like a heavy lump of lead so I went back to bed and it's feeling a lot better by now.It's very annoying.
Sins

Marti
11th May 2004, 04:37 AM
That sounds awful. I'm very worried that as I get older I won't be able to feel my left leg at all. I am very predonimately lefty. My perentss know basically the minute I was born that I was a lefty. And since surgery I haven't felt like I have the same control over my left side. I can feel things, just not in the same way. I hate to think what would happen if it started to just go completely numb. I am such a lefty! Oh well, I'll cross that path when I come to it.

Marti
11th May 2004, 04:41 AM
I went to the doctor today. I wasn't really expecting anything. the bad news is that my foot might always be dry and discolored. But I can live with that. The good news is I can lift up kids again!!! So I can babysit my negihbors now! I'm so happy. I wasn't expecting him to let me lift yet. But he asked if there was anythign I wanted to do that I couldn't and I said that and he said I should just be careful. And he said my spine looks perfect and I got perfect correction! I'm so happy! those words just made my day :-D :bear: :jump: :bounce: :party: :pepsi: :spin:

Kayla
11th May 2004, 04:45 AM
Wow that is great Martha! OOps I start babysitting right away but they dont need to be lifted much (three and four yr old) I am glad you appt. went well!

BarmyArmy
11th May 2004, 11:26 AM
That's brilliant news Martha :D You must be so pleased, I'll join in with your bouncing :jump:

jfkimberly
11th May 2004, 11:56 AM
Contratulations, Martha! I'm so happy for you! "Perfect correction" are great words.

titch
11th May 2004, 12:37 PM
That's fantastic news - I'm really pleased for you :D

Blair
11th May 2004, 01:59 PM
YAY! That's awesome Marti! :jump:

Jonny
11th May 2004, 07:14 PM
:-D

sins
11th May 2004, 07:19 PM
Don't worry too much about it Martha.Sometimes it's easy to worry a bit too much over things.You can work with your physical therapist to strengthen your leg and can expect a very good recovery.Things are more likely to improve than not.It hasn't really been that long since your surgery and I presume you still have your brace.When you regain your mobility and get your muscle strength back to near normal levels, these problems should disappear or at least lessen.Sometimes we have to live with minor neurological blips as a trade off for a good spine correction. If you could fast forward by six months you'd most likely see a picture where scoliosis, surgery and side effects play a minor role in your life and won't be such a big point of focus as you move on with your life.There's bound to be some wonderful things in store for you which will take your mind off the problems that you are now dealing with.
Trust me :D

Kayla
11th May 2004, 09:53 PM
I doubt much will happen! I hope not anyways!

Carly
12th May 2004, 12:01 AM
Yeah!

Marti
12th May 2004, 01:34 AM
It's a good thing I can babysit people with babies now... I'm in dire need of cash! At the moment I have a grand total of... about $4.00!

Marti
12th May 2004, 01:37 AM
yeah, thankfully I'm out of the brace now. I actually don't have the slightest idea where it is. I'm not rreally worried, as I don't think it'll get worse... but when I think about it... I just won't think about it!

Kayla
12th May 2004, 01:40 AM
How much do you get? I get $2.50 per kid per hour because the usual babies there are two but with my sister she thinks that they are gipping me so she pays me like double :-)

Marti
12th May 2004, 03:24 AM
grr... I thought I replied to this... I get $6.00 an hour, but with my new customers I think I'll charge $7.00. You are getting ripped off! You should raise your price.

I'm still hearing the words "perfect correction" in my head. :-D

Carly
12th May 2004, 03:30 PM
omg that is alot martha, that is like $9.00 canadian. I only get 5-6 dollars

Kayla
12th May 2004, 09:53 PM
Carly You only get $5-6 canadian money or american money?

Jonny
12th May 2004, 10:53 PM
Perfect correction is the best thing to have rattling through your head! I was really amazed when they payed us (my quartet, in school) 25 each for playing for only 25 minutes :-o I think that's between $40 and $45 USD. It was for one of these does where there are more champagne glasses than chins - a CCF dinner or something. 25!!! I think I've doubled my savings. And the playing was crap anyway!

Marti
13th May 2004, 12:32 AM
wow! That's pretty cool. I realized that I'm charging A LOT less than most other teens... so that's why I might charge a bit more. I'm just so happy I get to pick up babies!