PDA

View Full Version : Tramadol and mood

tonibunny
11th June 2010, 10:58 PM
Hi everyone!

Has anyone found that Tramadol tends to affect your mood, and make you quite emotional/weepy?

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend, as it's been a few years since I last took Tramadol myself.

Thanks for any replies :)

Toni xx

Lucy7
11th June 2010, 11:06 PM
Hmmn. I've only started taking this and have only used it a few times. Looking back, I tend to be rather thin skinned the day after I take Tramadol. In other words, I tend to take comments as personal attacks when they really are not meant that way. So, no, not weepy but yes, sensitive!

tonibunny
12th June 2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks Luce, that's very helpful.

moe
12th June 2010, 04:09 AM
Funny Ive been on it for a few days now.
I found that it kinda makes me feel a little plastered and glassy eyed.

GloomCookie
12th June 2010, 09:33 AM
Not really; when I was taking it regularly it was a bit like drinking redbull, gave me loads of energy and made me feel better, now I don't take it often it makes me dizzy and a bit spaced. But lots of strong painkillers do make me weepy, when I was on Oramorph after my last surgery I was sooooo miserable I was absolutely desperate!

mark
12th June 2010, 02:02 PM
It made me angry for some reason, i remember going on holiday for a week and i forgot to take my tramadol so had to dose up on over the counter stuff but by the end of the week my mood had completly changed and i was in a hell of a lot of pain but i seemed to be less upset and angry about things. Since being of tramadol for the last 3 weeks my mood has again lifted and i am less moody and angry

Funny things strong narcotics aren't they

Thaleias spirit
12th June 2010, 02:03 PM
If I can remember correctly, Zydol is another form of Tramadol. They gave me this in hospital when I was having my official scoliosis assesment done (5yrs ago). I know I had the MRI that day and they gave me something to help me relax and trust me that worked wonders (I lay in the machine looking around and almost laughing at the sizeand closeness etc)

Anyhow, what I was going to say was I still remember how I was that morning after I took the Zydol. I remember being very abrupt to the consultant who came in to give a second opinion, I got annoyed when anything was said about me and then started getting very upset and teary to the point when the second consultant entered I dont remember the conversation much.

I had been taking Tramadol for a while before that with no issues I can remember other than drowsiness and maybe a little nausea. But the Zydol was the start of the end of me taking those meds. That evening I was very ill after them. And anythime after that when I took either the Zydol or Tramadol I had approx. 24 hours of severe drowsiness (had to hold walls to stay upright), totally upset and it finished with me being sick every time. Needless to say there's a record on my file that I cant be prescribed it.

I also can not tolerate morphine. We tried it again as tablet form after the extension surgery 2 years ago and 30 mins later I will sick again. My hallucinations and teariness on that still haunt me.

So yeah, I wouldnt be too surprised if it was making them feel that way at all.

mark
12th June 2010, 02:09 PM
Hmmn. I've only started taking this and have only used it a few times. Looking back, I tend to be rather thin skinned the day after I take Tramadol. In other words, I tend to take comments as personal attacks when they really are not meant that way. So, no, not weepy but yes, sensitive!

Wow Lucy that is exactly how i felt, i found myself getting very defensive and thinking was such and such person saying that especially when it was a post about something i had posted

I also got so paranoid that people did not like any more i almost stopped coming here

Mustang Sal
12th June 2010, 02:44 PM
If I can remember correctly, Zydol is another form of Tramadol. They gave me this in hospital when I was having my official scoliosis assesment done (5yrs ago). I know I had the MRI that day and they gave me something to help me relax and trust me that worked wonders (I lay in the machine looking around and almost laughing at the sizeand closeness etc)

Anyhow, what I was going to say was I still remember how I was that morning after I took the Zydol. I remember being very abrupt to the consultant who came in to give a second opinion, I got annoyed when anything was said about me and then started getting very upset and teary to the point when the second consultant entered I dont remember the conversation much.

I had been taking Tramadol for a while before that with no issues I can remember other than drowsiness and maybe a little nausea. But the Zydol was the start of the end of me taking those meds. That evening I was very ill after them. And anythime after that when I took either the Zydol or Tramadol I had approx. 24 hours of severe drowsiness (had to hold walls to stay upright), totally upset and it finished with me being sick every time. Needless to say there's a record on my file that I cant be prescribed it.

I also can not tolerate morphine. We tried it again as tablet form after the extension surgery 2 years ago and 30 mins later I will sick again. My hallucinations and teariness on that still haunt me.

So yeah, I wouldnt be too surprised if it was making them feel that way at all.

Oh yucky Chele, that sounds pretty awful :(

I had a weird reaction to a drug I was given in hospital while I was there on a week's bed rest - it was called DF118, which i've since learned is Dihydrocodeine Forte. I was prescribed Co-Dydramol for ages after that and seemed to get on fine with it though, so that was weird.

mark
12th June 2010, 02:54 PM
Morphine lol

I was talking to one dude in the middle of the night, this kid climbed through the window and we were having a proper indepth conversation about something that i know forget.

Woke up in the morning told the nurse what had happened, she just laughed and said your on the 10 th floor you loon no one can climb in through your bedroom window

She promptly went to the window and locked it lol, she did not want my fall from the 10th floor on her conscience (sp)

For those who remember the 80s (they are a few of still around)

I had the Communards playing don't leave me this way in the top corner of my room for 4 days, i kept telling the nurses to turn the radio off

They just laughed (i sure gave them some amusement)

I asked a nurse if she could please stop my wall turning colour and stop moving had a laugh, i was deadly serious and she told me later that i would not let her go until she stopped the wall turning colour and waving at me.

Those are the ones i can remember, i shudder at what other entertainments i gave them lol

Mark

lindaaanderson
12th June 2010, 04:49 PM
I hallucinated a lot in hospital when I was on the PCA pump - red stripey walls, hundreds of cats rushing through the room under the bed - all sorts of weird dream-like things.

I felt very negative too - sensitive and touchy about everything and overly critical of those caring for me if things weren't quite as I thought they should be. I was on morphine for three months and although coming off it was difficult and the pain worsened I am pleased to be feeling more cheerful and positive.

It's a very tough call as I know that I needed those strong drugs to get me through the early months. My advice or learning from my own situation would be that the hospital would do well to ensure relatives and friends are aware of these possible side effects and how to best help. I found affirming support and hugs worked well, people complaining about things I said just made things SO much worse - they really didn't understand what I was going through.

Perhaps some information leaflets on drugs would be useful - including how to withdraw from them safely as I know I am not the only one to bring some horrid ill effects on myself by cutting them out too quickly :-(

I am so sorry - just realised I have hi-jacked this thread re Tramadol - to get back to that - I only had it once or twice so can't really comment on it - sorry!

Linda xx

mark
16th June 2010, 04:09 PM
Just re read this thread

Hi Els, oromorph had the exact opposite effect on me, it was kind of euphoric and lifted my mood, did they have another short acting painkiller or did you have to wait until the tramadol kicked in

Collette
16th June 2010, 05:06 PM
I've just been prescribed slow-release Tramadol (100m g) but after reading the accompanying litrature I've decided against taking it. You see it says that if you are taking anti-depressants then taking the Tramadol could cause sezures!!
I'll have a word with the pharmacist before I rule out taking them completely, but I was so looking forward to finally getting some pain relief. Has anyone elso taken them along side mood altering drugs? Btw I'm on 20mg Citalopram.

mark
16th June 2010, 05:13 PM
Collette i'm on between 40 and 60 mills depending upon how i feel of Citilopram a day and tramadol as well, i have never had a seizure or any of the other contraindications around anti depressants

Collette
16th June 2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks Mark.
Did you ask about taking them together or did you just take them and hoped for the best? If you asked the pharmacist what did they say?

mark
16th June 2010, 06:01 PM
I did not ask anyone Collette, i just assumed because my Gp kept prescribing them both he knew what he was doing

tonibunny
16th June 2010, 06:09 PM
Same here, I used to take Citalopram and Tramadol together, and never had any problems :) Talk to your pharmacist to put your mind at rest Collette, but I'm sure you'll be OK.

Collette
16th June 2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks Mark & Toni.

I am going to talk to the pharmacist anyway as I've been prescribed painkillers before that the pharmacist wouldn't let me have as I'm taking Citalopram and couldn't understand why the doctor had given them to me. I'm glad Mark's GP knows what he's doing!

GloomCookie
16th June 2010, 11:42 PM
Just re read this thread

Hi Els, oromorph had the exact opposite effect on me, it was kind of euphoric and lifted my mood, did they have another short acting painkiller or did you have to wait until the tramadol kicked in

To be fair, I wasn't in the best of head spaces after my costoplasty given everything I'd been through so I think I was far more susceptible to the mopey effect than I would normally have been, and all I did was post on here and whinge then try to "woman up" til I didn't need the Oramorph anymore and was back on the less misery inducing pain meds!

mangos85
17th June 2010, 03:36 AM
Hi Collette. I'm not a proper pharmacist yet as I've only finished my first year of pharmacy school. Until you're able to speak with an actual pharmacist, I can give you some information from one of the pharmaceutical databases that my university provides for us.

The Lexi-Comp database categorizes the interaction between citalopram and tramadol as "category D," which normally means the doc should seriously consider not giving them together unless there is no viable alternative. It seems the interaction increases the risk of not only seizures but also serotonin syndrome as well. However it seems that these serious side effects are fairly rare and that, with proper monitoring, most patients should be alright. I hope the pharmacist can give you some better advice and I hope your pain feels better soon. Please let us know whether the pharmacist ok's your medication regimen.

Amazed Jean
17th June 2010, 06:11 AM
When in doubt ask the pharmacist!

mark
17th June 2010, 07:57 AM
To be fair, I wasn't in the best of head spaces after my costoplasty given everything I'd been through so I think I was far more susceptible to the mopey effect than I would normally have been, and all I did was post on here and whinge then try to "woman up" til I didn't need the Oramorph anymore and was back on the less misery inducing pain meds!

What pains meds were you on Els, i think its a disgrace that this country only uses morphine based painkillers where most of europe i have been told use other kinds, i assume must be synthetic made

titch
17th June 2010, 09:55 AM
I think it might be worth noting that according to a lot of sources supposedly surgery more or less isn't done in most of Europe, whereas we know that isn't the case - I would be surprised if they don't use the morphine based painkillers as they are the best for severe pain. That said, I do think something needs doing about painkillers in general as we so often see people with serious problems and their doctors insisting that they should just take a paracetamol and shut up, that there isn't anything stronger which can be prescribed, and on the other hand there's doctors who hand out opiates for anything and everything, and yet give no support in their proper use.

mark
17th June 2010, 12:03 PM
No sorry titch, perhaps i did not explain myself properly, what i meant was they have both, they offer morphine based and non morphine based for those who are alergic to or have problems taking morphine based products

Collette
17th June 2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks Mango, you may not be a qualified pharmacist yet but you've been more helpful than the one I spoke to!

He told me that sometimes they prescribe them together but not always, it depends on the person - er thanks!?
So he said to ring the doctor's, which I did and she advised me to take it only as a last resort so she's now given me another drug that shouldn't interact with the Citalopram at all (I don't know what it's called, I've not picked up the prescription yet).

So thank you all! x

mark
17th June 2010, 08:17 PM
Something i might have a word with my gp about on monday

I want a change from tramadol anyways

Collette
17th June 2010, 09:18 PM
Good luck for Monday Mark. Are you experiencing problems with the Tramadol?

mark
17th June 2010, 09:42 PM
Yes, i feel like i'm away with the fairies all the time and they make me feel sick

Collette
17th June 2010, 09:56 PM
Sorry if you've already said about that Mark, I should have looked back through the thread before asking - I'm a bad SSOer!!

That sounds awful Mark :squeeze:
I hope they can finally give you something that's effective on the pain and doesn't cause you to have to cope with more nasty side effects! :fingersx:

mark
17th June 2010, 10:03 PM
Hi Collette don't apologise, i post that much poo poo pants stuff its hard to sort the wheat from the chaff lol

Yes me too, being away with the fairies is ok for about 10 minutes but then they get really boring and i get flight sickness lol

Dr Marky says take your medicine though don't take my ramblings as an excuse not to

Dr Marky is nearly always right

cherrybird
18th June 2010, 08:44 AM
I can't specifically say that it has affected me in a negative way. I have been using it for years for the pain and am still on it now. However I am recently on anti-depressants which I'm hoping to get off soon. I guess there is a possibility that years of taking the stuff has taken its toll and that combined with a series of unfortunate events has made me more sensitive. Not sure on this one.

Collette
18th June 2010, 03:31 PM
I've just taken my new pain killers and I'm feeling VERY weird!! :ill:

tonibunny
18th June 2010, 03:31 PM
Which ones are you on Collette?

Collette
18th June 2010, 03:35 PM
I couldn't remember so I've just been and checked.
They're Nefopam Hydrochloride 30mg, and I don't know if it's coincidence but I've got a strange sort of headache, I feel sick and I keep getting hot flushes :(
What do you think Toni, have you any experience of this drug?

tonibunny
18th June 2010, 03:38 PM
I'm sorry, I've never taken those myself :( Fingers crossed those side effects don't last, they sound horrid :(

Collette
18th June 2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks Toni. I've been told to take one three times a day but I think I'll leave them off for the rest of today and take another tomorrow and see what happens then. If I feel bad again I think another word with doctor is in order (that'll be another 7.20)!

GillyG
18th June 2010, 04:24 PM
I had a terrible time with Nefopam myself, yet Titch found them incredibly helpful and didn't suffer any ill effects. It really is a minefield finding the medication which suits you. Get back to your GP if you think it's the Nefopam Collette, I was told by the hospital pharmacist that quite a lot of women are intolerant to them. Hope you feel better soon :flowers:

Collette
18th June 2010, 04:32 PM
Awww thanks Gilly :)

I'm sorry to hear how bad you felt on them too.

You're so right, I can't count the times I've had to ask for a different prescription because they've suggested something which I'm intolerant to i.e. codine, or have been advised not to take because of interacting with other medication I'm taking.

I've just been looking Nefopam up on the internet and I've read that it can cause your urine to turn pink and is used to combat severe hiccups! I don't know why but that made laugh :D

GillyG
18th June 2010, 04:34 PM
:lol:

cherrybird
18th June 2010, 10:56 PM
If anyone is chopping and changing or trying out new prescriptions, I would advise getting a pre-pay prescription card. You simply order it online, decide which of the payments was best for you (I started with 3 months, but invested in a year when I realised how many meds I was going through) then they send you the card through the post. If you need a prescription in the meantime, you ask the pharmacy for a form to claim the fee back but do not leave the pharmacy without this. When the card turns up take the receipt and the form back to the pharmacy, and they refund you.